Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Overheating and Using up CPU

• Please log in to reply

maz4pj

maz4pj

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (Model PCG-K315Z) which seems to be making alot of noise everytime i turn it on. It used to do this occasionally, but now it's almost everytime i turn it on. I'm guessing its overheating because it also gets very hot, but the fans make so much noise. I haven't gotten any error messages but i'm just worried because last time the noise was this constant my laptop crashed and I had to send it away to get fixed.

It's also occasionally suddenly using up 100% CPU even though I have only one or two applications running. I have to close all applications down and wait until the CPU goes down again before doing anything or its very slow.

I'm just wondering what this means. Is there a hardware problem or anything I can do to fix it without having to send it away to get fixed?

Also sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post this.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If the fan is noisy, and your computer is getting hot, you can safely bet you will soon fry your processor! Sorry to say, but unless you know how to disassemble and change an apparent bad cooling fan, you're going to have to send it in for repair again. If you continue to use the laptop, it won't last much longer.

I wouldn't worry about 100% CPU usage at this time. You need to take care of the cooling problem... PRONTO!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Interim measures are: a good cleaning, and a laptop cooling pad.

maz4pj

maz4pj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thanks for getting back to me. i was afraid that i needed to send it off again! oh well. :tazz: thanks anyway.