Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Rig Incapable of playing games; only see a black screen upon loading

• Please log in to reply

the-throws

the-throws

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi

Ill first give you my ssytem specs in case that may be helpful to you...

ASUS A8N-SLI MOTHERBOARD ATX NFORCE4-SLI S939 DDR 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID LAN SOUND
Enermax All In One 535W ATX12V V2.0 20/24 Pin Power Supply W/ PCI-E SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 90NM
OCZ Gold VX EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 200GB IDE ATA100 7200RPM 8MB 8MS Hard Drive
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT CO 470MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3
Windows XP Prof. w SP2

Ive just recently had my computer assembled, and it seems to be working perfectly except for one major flaw. The comp hasnt been able to play a single game properly. Apparently the rig should have no problem running Far-cry. But every time i load the game, i get a screen which is completely shot; all the colours have a high contrast between very bright yellows, greens, and blues, against a predominant black.

I then tried installing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR). After the intro sequences, I am left with just a "black" screen, I cannot even view the menu options, let alone load a game.

At this point all the updated Nvidia drivers had been installed, but they had absolutely no effect.

I thought it could be a video card problem, so I then removed and uninstalled the 7800GT, and put in an old Nvidia 5300 that worked on my bro's old computer. After installing all the drivers provided on the installation CD, KotOR actually seemed to run. I was able to view the menu screen, and load games. But then 5min into the game, the screen would become completely black - just like before -but then return back to the game dynamo. Then 10min into the game, the colours would again be shot with extreme contrast (similar to that in Far cry).

It seemed to me that KotOR was not working because I had not as yet installed the latest Nvidia drivers, but at least the game ran, unlike the 7800GT. I concluded -perhaps incorrectly- that the 7800GT was the problem and I then contacted the relevant parties for its return. I thought everything would be solved by the installation of the updated Nvidia drivers. wrong. After installation, i had the exact same problems as the 7800GT, the menu failed to load and all i have to see is just a frustrating black screen.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. The 7800GT will be sent off for return shipping in less than a week. If somebody could help me I would be very much thankful.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
The first things that come to mind.... directx and video driver.... reload both....

the-throws

the-throws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Shard

I have installed the updated drivers for both Direct-X, and the Video card (81.98), but I will re-install it as soon as I get home from work.

the-throws

the-throws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I reinstalled the drivers. It appears to have helped, but the KotOR still produces a black screen every cpl minutes during the game, this is on the 5300 btw.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sorry that is about the extent of my knowledge.... I'm not familiar with KotOR at all..... Have you tried turning down your settings to see if that helps? If it does maybe the card is having a problem. Check fan/heatsink.... another option have you tried the software makers website? sometimes there is a patch or known issues..... some will even give you access to a forum to ask for help.....

the-throws

the-throws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
the flickering doesnt seem to stop. Ive installed an even older game, Empire Earth, but the problem persists. How would i go about checking the CPU, and heatsink? btw Shard, thnx for your help thus far. Just a recap: I am currently running an Nvidia 5300 on a Samsung SyncMaster 930B monitor. Tomorrow, I will probably insert my brother's X850XL to see if there is any difference. I would have cycled through 3 cards by then. To anyone else reading this, any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by the-throws, 05 March 2006 - 10:23 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No problem.

as far as checking the heatsink.... first off is the fan spinning, is the heatsink all clogged with dirt/dust? Some computers come with tempurature monitoring software others allow you to check in bios/setup.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try setting the core affinity so the games run with only one core.

the-throws

the-throws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well all the sys fans are spinning (including the heatsink), and the connection seems solid. After installing my bros X800XL (not the X850XL i mentioned earlier) i scored 4267 3Dmark05 points. Is that a reasonable number for my system specs? If so, then it would seem that the nvidia 5300 is faulty - though it worked incredibly smoothly on my bro's system. I am glad to report that when I ran with the X800XL, the flickering had stopped. What still strikes me as strange is that my 3Dmark05 score was lower than my bro's by about 200 points; its weird because he is running a 2 yr old P4 3GHz OEM machine, wheras mine was just recently bought. Our specs are essentially the same, except a lot of his system parts are generic or OEM. Is that unusual? Are there any other options, beyond overclocking (which i will attempt to do when i get the X1800XT), that could improve my system performance?

Shard92, I will get the temperature values for my CPU as soon as i get home from work.

Warrioscot, what performance gains could I expect if do run the games off a single core? And are there any sites you could direct me to, so that i may try this avenue out.

Thnx guys for your help. I am much obliged.

the-throws

the-throws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
According to ASUS PC probe, my mobo is running at 29C and the CPU is running at running at 34C which went up to 35C when i loaded KotOR. I didnt get a chance to load a game per se, as again I am greeted with a black screen instead of menu options. btw...i am running the 5300 agn temporarily now (i had to return my bro's graphics-card).

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

According to ASUS PC probe, my mobo is running at 29C and the CPU is running at running at 34C which went up to 35C when i loaded KotOR. I didnt get a chance to load a game per se, as again I am greeted with a black screen instead of menu options. btw...i am running the 5300 agn temporarily now (i had to return my bro's graphics-card).

those temps should be fine. I have heard of alot of folkes very disappointed with the geforce 5 series.... Can't give you any experiences as i'm running ati myself... AS far as performance it could be many different factors... including chipset of the motherboard, the manufacturer of the motherboard, memory timings, tweaks he has done, etc.....