Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

too many processes running on windows xp

• Please log in to reply

alicekmom

alicekmom

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
My computer has gotten very slow. When I do cntrl-alt-delete and look at processes there are SO many things running and many I am sure are unnecessary. How do I figure out what can go and permanently end them? It also takes 5-10 minutes for my computer to boot up when I turn it on in the morning I guess because so much is running.
Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
File attached. Thanks for your help with this.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who is your internet provider? AOL or comcast?

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
We have comcast cable internet but also subscribe to AOL "bring your own access" because we like their e-mail and parental controls. So essentially we have both. I usually have IE open and AOL at the same time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, you've got three of the biggest startup delay culprits in computers today--mcafee and aol, but let's leave that lone for a moment

I want you to select each of these, and then hit the fix button and then reboot.

This will create back ups, so nothing is permanent. None of these are essential and all can be run manuallly. Does anything seem "wrong" on reboot--meaning, gosh, I really liked that to start when my PC starts

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~2\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] c:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Comcast\COMCAS~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Did all that. Nothing missing on start up that I notice.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
better or worse or still the same on startup (time wise)

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Probably 50% better. Anything else I can get rid of?
Thanks for the help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you ever burn to cd's by dragging and dropping files to blank cds?

If not, remove these settings
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

You have a program on here that at startup goes out and checks for updates---this can be done manually rather than automatically
If your machine is older, the liklihood of updates is less (most updates tend to appear in first year). And if you can check manually for updates, then check these:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\issch.exe" -start

Do you use MSMESSENGER? Most AOL users prefer AOL instant messenger
If not, in the lower right hand corner, right click MSMESSENGER and choose EXIT, tehn navigate to c:\program files\messenger and right click, choose rename and name it oldmessenger

Reboot again...faster still?

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Way faster! One thing - where exactly do I find the MS messenger to get rid of it? I have never used it - use aol. Wasn't sure what right corner you meant, what screen?
Thanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in the lower right hand corner, by the clock, you will see an icon that looks like these guys

http://www.draytek.c...ge/ms_mess1.jpg

right click him, choose EXIT

Then, double click MY COMPTUER, doubleclick LOCAL DISK, double click PROGRAM FILES folder, and locate MESSENGER folder

right click, choose RENAME, and name it OLDMESSENGER

Some people remove it completely, but I prefer this method, which allows you to enable it again quickly without reloading...it can be used for remote control of your computer if you should ever need it

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
weird little icon people aren't on the screen, but i did find and rename the folder so hope that will help

anything else - running much better already

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can return to hijackthis and check these two
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\AOL.EXE" -b

The first is not needed since you are not using dialup
The second speeds up the launching of AOL by loading it in the background

The other AOL entries I am not familiar with so I would leave them alone

The Mcafee items I would leave alone if you are still getting updates , meaning you bought the software and any signature updates...if you have an old version of mcafee and no longer update it, I would remove mcafree and install a different group of antivirus and firewall protections

You can also start quicktime player (start > all programs > quicktime > quicktime player), then go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > QUICKTIME PREFERENCES > ADVANCED and uncheck INSTALL QUICKTIME ICON IN SYSTEM TRAY

After that, double click MY COMPUTER, right click the LOCAL DISK, choose PROPERTIES, choose TOOLS, and do both the error checking and defragmentation