Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound just doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First off--Hello!
This seems like a very informative site. THe VundoFix I found here quickly and easily got rid of that pesky bugger that was bugging me for quite some time.

Aaaanyway.....

My computer's sound hasn't worked in awhile--I'd say at least 4 months. Why am I worrying about it now? Don't ask me. I'm an idiot. But now that I got rid of Vundo, I'm turning my attention to this problem.

I have no idea what can be causing the problem, which is why I've come here and asked you guys to help me out.

My comp is a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Windows XP.

Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers,
Eugene

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
check the device manager to see if the sound shows up there.... Also check any and all volume controls/audioracks/etc that you can find on the computer to see if it's muted somewhere...

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nada.

Everything checks out but there's still no sound.

It just sorta happened one day--i went on my laptop, typed in my password to log in, and there was no sound.

:tazz:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Nada.

Everything checks out but there's still no sound.
It just sorta happened one day--i went on my laptop, typed in my password to log in, and there was no sound.
:tazz:

Okay to clarify... did you find anything listed in device manager for sound/multimedia device? If not the drivers are not installe, the sound is turned off ( if it's onboard ) or the sound card you have is not working.

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In the device manager under "sound, video and game controllers" I have
-Audio Codecs
-Legacy Audio Drivers
-Legacy Video Capture Devices
-Media Control Devices
-Sigma Tel C-Major Audio
-Video Codecs

When I go into the control panel,
Sounds: Windows Default
The volume is not muted
Both default devices under "audio" are correct
Under "hardware" the Device Status says that my CDRW drive is working properly and that Sigma Tel C-Major Audio is also working properly...all the rest are also working properly (but their locations are unknown).

Troubleshooting doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks,
Eugene

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well in that case I'd say either the sound has gone belly up or you need to reinstall the drivers.... maybe they got corrupted... either by the infection or something else...

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Crap.

I should add that whenever I turn off the computer there is this sort of.....clicking(??) noise that comes from where the sound usually comes from.

It was the same noise as when I ran adaware during my little stint with Mr. Vundo and my computer got a fatal error and that wonderful blue screen.

This has to have been done somehow by some virus.

-Eugene

P.S. Whenever my Symantec does a scan there are a LOT of audio-related files (I think they're called "System Audio" something-or-other). Am, I supposed to have that many?? Maybe I am. Dunno.

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
BUMP BUMP BUMP

....anyone else?? :tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
By chance is this a Gateway 400 series laptop?

Missiles Go

Missiles Go

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My comp is a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Windows XP.
Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers,
Eugene

:tazz: .......

..... :)

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
oooppppsss....somehow missed that. I just sent my Gateway laptop back in for a sound problem. Fortunately I bought the 2 year extended warranty. I re-installed the sound drivers 3 times...even downloaded the updated drivers from Gateway's website. No luck. checked all software volume controlls. Even formatted and re-installed everything cause they asked me to. I tried external speakers and headphones. Nothing worked. It's definately a hardware issue in my case.

You might want to check and see if the windows audio service is running. Right click on My Computer, select Manage, expand Services & Applications, click on Services....

If mine wasn't under warranty, I would have removed the back of the laptop and checked to see if everthing was solidly plugged in. If you decide to do this, I would remove the battery first. Mark where each screw goes cause they are different sizes and you don't want to put one in the wrong hole when you put it back together. Something could be damaged that way.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm looking around the Internet and it could very well be a motherboard problem:

http://www.aqstech.com/5150s.html