Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System won't start up

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the motherboard make and model is usually written on the motherboard between the 2nd and 3rd pci slot

You can drop into BIOS by tapping f1, f2 or d3l, then go to advanced features or chipset features and disabing onboard sound, onboard NIC

It would not surprise me if the drivers for the yellow things are there, and they just do not load in safe mode...this seems like an nvidia chipset -- but is it nforce2, nforce 3 or nforce4?

Advertisements

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
its an nforce2

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the problem is, you are going to need to be running the pc to install the drivers.

go here

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

select platform/nforce drivers
in next column, pick nforce1/2
then you os

download and burn to cd

have you dropped into bios and disabled everything ?

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have not disabled it yet, I was busy with my paying job... do I still need to?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, disable any onboard hardware......

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The computer will not let me enter the BIOS screen, no matter what I press, it goes directly to the screen that you should get if you hit f8... This has been happening since you last had me enter safe mode, and enable the sound....should I disable it again?

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
scratch that last post, i had a few blonde moments :tazz:

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, I downloaded the nforce2 driver for XP and put it on the pc, the pc would not properly exit out of safe mode, and so I restarted it manually. It did not work. I looked in the BIOS for those objects you said to disable, but there were no options for either the onboard sound, or onboard NIC... is there something else I can do? I think we are getting closer to solving the problem, but I can't figure out what is still preventing it from working.

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay, I fully installed the nvidia audio, and still the system refuses to start up. It goes to the XP screen, I see the num lock and caps lock lights flash, a few seconds of loading, then the computer restarts. All the yellow and red marks that were in the device manager are now gone, and the system recognizes everything in safe mode... I just don't get it. I still have not found the onboard sound and onboard NIC in the BIOS system, so that could still be it..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in safe mode

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

and as far as the bios stuff....let's try setting the bios to default (as that will..ironically....by default turn on your onboard sound card)....

unplug the computer from the wall...open the case...ground yourself...now remove the CMOS battery (the only battery on the motherboard...looks like a nickle)...hold the power button in on the computer for about 10 seconds...put that battery back in...button up the case....plug it back in and start up...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Greetings again Lilly, bneen involved in a big project and been away for almost a week so I'm trying to catch up on old threads.

Did you do as the monkey asked?

Also, can you use safe mode with networking?

Barring that, can you burn a cd on a different computer?

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

We need some more information and that might help us

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Gerry,

Thank you for your help, I know how busy ya'll are. I'm downloading the file, I have to take it home and run it, but will post the report tomorrow.

I've been busy myself, and almost gave in and paid to have it fixed, but that is my very last resort.

Since I last posted, I did a very bad thing. I loaded the wrong sound driver, and even safe mode wouldn't start up, (it would freeze on the XP loading screen) t I'm going to see if the CMOS battery removal resets what I messed up. If it does I can definately get into Safe Mode networking...

Thank you for checking up, I was about to give up all hope! Thanks!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i am surprised that loading the wrong driver would result in safe mode not working

i would very much like to know what hardware you have, especially the motherboard -- you looked on it for some model numbers, right--especially between the pci slots ?

VenusLily

VenusLily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, the only things we have with this computer are the NVidia mother board, it is NForce 2. And then we have and Xtasy ATI video card.. I think it is around the equivalent of a 9600 ATI video card, but I will double check when I get to the computer tonight. And that's it.. just those two.

Also, I have been in contact with the "friend" again (like you he seems to work all day every day) , and both he and my boyfriend believe they may have overclocked the CPU... (not quite sure what they are referring to), but he has agreed to come "help" :) :tazz: :) (At least this time he won't be drunk!)

If you have any advise for me, I would appreciate it, as you well know I have been the one trying to fix the problem all along, and I'm very concerned about them trying anything, but hey it couldn't get much worse.

Could them changing this one clocking issue have caused it all?

THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate everything you have done.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
absolutely

overclocking means running your system faster than it was designed to run...it will lead to a lot of instablilty.

Overclocking requires a slightly higher understanding of computers than the average user...overclocking results in too much heat, too little voltage and memory timing issues.

Getting it to work at all requires an understanding of how to adjust for these factors, and even then, their are limits.