Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doing a restore

• Please log in to reply

pahjnh

pahjnh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,
I am new at this so I will try to explain my problem. I have been having numerous erros on my computer and I want to do a restore, however, when I go to the Control Panel and try to do the restore from there I receive an error msg. It says that the progrom has encountered a problem and must close. Is there some other way that I can do a restore?

pahjnh

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try the following

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

<credit for canned speach = Keith>

pahjnh

pahjnh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried your suggestion and I got the same error "Application encountered a problem and must close"