Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM computer reboots

• Please log in to reply

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
ok i have been trying to fix a problem with an IBM netvista computer about a mounth ago the system started to reboot when someone loged onto the computer.

to try to fix the problem i ghosted the HDD (did not work) i changed the HDD and ghosted the new one (did not work) i changed the RAM (did not work) i changed the power supply (did not work) and i changed the CPU (did not work)

i dont know what else to try any reccomendations

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
have you tried reformatting your hard drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looks like the only thing you didn't change....was the mobo...

what were the FULL symptoms that caused all of these changes? just random reboots? any errors at all?

try this
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
the 2nd hdd i tryed to use did not have an OS on it so i tryed to install windows 2000 on it and because of the reboots and freezing it wont install

and there wernt any errors just reboots and the wernt exactly random. it tends to do it when someone logged onto it or when windows was starting

Edited by ernieh, 01 March 2006 - 03:03 PM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
then it looks more like a motherboard problem, or overheating, but i doubt that. could also be a bad psu.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i have changed the psu so i dont think it is that i highly doubt it is overheating so it must be something on the mobo well not to much more i can do but scrap it

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Also, just for the record, we have well over 300 IBM machines here and lose motherboards left and right!! :tazz: The same symptoms as you described. We have M41, M42, S50, T21-T42's, A21;s, etc.