Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Outlook/Word mail merge: "engine failure. please try again later.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey All...

I'm running on Windows XP and Office 2003. I have been using Word to set up mail merge documents to create mailing labels for a bunch of packages I have been sending to clients. Once those packages have been sent out, I go back to the Word document, delete the sticker label information, re-mark the document from Mailing Labels to Email Messages so that it becomes an email merge, and replace the mailing label information with an email, and then complete the merge. This way, I can be sure that everyone who received the package will also receive a followup email. This works 90% of the time with no problems. However, Every now and then I try to re-open one such Word document and I receive the message that has become the bane of my life:

"this operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later."

I try again later. No dice. I restart and try again. No dice. I have previously run into the problem of having more than one mail merge document open at one time, so I make sure not to do that anymore. But I still run into this problem from time to time, and it wreaks complete havoc on my work, as I'm sure you can imagine. If anyone has any input, advice or suggestions regarding this issue it would be enormously appreciated.

Thank you, James