Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Closedown & reboot

• Please log in to reply

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi looking for as much help as possible. I think it may be power supply ( :tazz: ) but history as to where I am in next 4-5 paragraphs.

PC started randomly to crash about end of Jan. This was following removal of some photoediting software and replacement by Photoshop Elements 4. Did all the normal roll backs, etc, updated drivers, etc. but still a problem. Generally the crashes at boot or shortly after start up. Came to conclusion Windows was "tired", so decided full format, re-install and repartition of HDD. First time used my slip-streamed XP SP1, SP2 and updates disk and then re-loaded all applications - but still crashed - tried XP repair and still crashed. So assumed slipstreamed CD missing something - so full reinstall XP step by step!...etc, etc. :)

Was occasionally getting a BSOD I could not catch (flashed across and then reboot). So started to try and track problem using event viewer. This threw up all the standard 6005, 6006, 6009, etc. event logs in System. So updated Mb drivers, Radeon 9500 drivers - every hardware driver!

Researched codes and took me to MS site and onto others. Then picked up Geeks site and saw it might be some kind of hardware problem. :)

So started to log timings. So typically now find that I start from cold and -

Get to XP User logon screen - everything freezes - no mouse no Ctrl-Alt-Del - so hard reboot.
Get to logon - so logon - XP starts to load and I get to desktop - apps start to load to taskbar and then freezes again - hard reboot.
Then generally reboot ok and everything works, but occasionally random crash
So eventually today got right through and no crash and then tried to go into IE - did that then sudden BSOD as I switched to another page - which this time BSOD stayed and I hope have captured:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Standard BSOD message and code as follows;

Stop 0x0000001, 0x00000007, 0x00000001, 0xEB0783375

and then - after more BSOD general text - (I think - having difficulty reading own writing)

nvavm.sys Addns EB078375 base @ EB078000 Date Stamp 42d7401

So reboot, and then OK (at moment - 90 mins plus after)

So in short from cold start to running properly was around 15 mins - almost as if PC finall warming up!?!

Previous to today, I run MemTest86 for two standard test for 30 minutes, but not extended test. Also run Western Digital Data Guard tool to check HDD. Neither threw up any issues with RAM or HDD.

Only thing that now I can see is that there is some random flunction in power supply??? PC (and PSU) just over 3 years old. Not sure of PSU rating - never opened case to look at that, but suspect its only 300w. Only internal hardware additions in last 6 months was a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI card, but the crashes have only started since beginning. Only UNPOWERED external attachments are a external USB scanner - buts that been attached for ages; Logitech web-cam; 8-in1 media reader All the rest of the USB items are powered - deskjet 5850, photosmart 130, Samsung DVD writer. So can't think those are aproblem - and functioned okay previously.

Or is it something else? Have used SisSandra Lite 2005 a couple of times recently also to "stretch" processor, etc. see if its anything hardware wise.

Really stuck (and crashes driving me MAD! - :) ) and would appreciate any advice on what I can practically do next!

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that particular error is almost always either ram or an hd...i would try booting the computer with only one piece of ram installed at a time...and see what happens....it could also very well be your psu....i'd say it could be a driver issue...but you said it occured on a complete fresh install..i assume after installing you updated all the drivers? if you can get into windows then right click my computer > manage > device manager and look for any yellow ? or !

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks dsenette.

I did update ALL drivers for Motherboard, graphics card, plus all perperihal components. Okay with finding my way around Device Manager and 9 out of 10 know what I'm looking for.

Forgot the Ram was new in March 05, as I took out 2 x 256 and repaced with 2 x 512 - exactly same manufacturer as before - Crucial/Micron. PC has been ok until - as I said - about 1 months ago.

But bearing in mind Memtest result should I give it a go BEFORE considering PSU? Have just order myself a PSU tester.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would try booting the machine with one stick of ram in at a atime...to try to rule out the ram...just cuz it's new doesn't mean it didn't die....but..could be the psu as well

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks dsenette

Will have to be a weekend job I think so as to be systematic, as get to uptight playing around with open PC box after a day's work.

Just find in peculiar that it appears to settle down AFTER the PC warmed up. Would have thought RAM failure was the opposite??

Thanks again - will report back when I've tried that out.

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just to say following my last post and while "gently" browsing Internet (3 hours after finally getting going - see first post) I had another BSOD. :)

This time:

*** STOP 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000007, 0x00000001, 0xEB2CA375)
*** nvarm.sys. - Address EB2CA375 base at EB2CA000, Date Stamp 425d742d

somewhat consistent with last one... :tazz:

and the link to Microsoft Crash report on restart (which occurs inconsistently)

...oh well.... :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have an nvidia video card? if so....(i can't find sollid confirmation but...) that nvarm.sys is related to a graphix driver...try updating your graphix driver from the nvidia website

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the comment.

No.

Graphic Card is ATI Radeon 9500 Pro with 128 mb RAM. I've updated all graphics drivers when I re-loaded XP the 2nd time.

The Motherboard is Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18D Pro. It is an nVidea nForce 2 motherboard with an AGP slot - hence the Radeon 9500. Again I've downloaded all the most up to date M/B drivers when I reloaded XP. They only thing I've not updated recently is BIOS. I think I did that 20 months ago.

Of course it could be something going on the motherboard.....

Tonight I decided to start up straight into Safe mode. Came out of that an started as normally - froze 3 times before I got to going. This is frustrating.

Will try removing Ram sticks at weekend and see what happens.

As said before I ran MemTest86 for two standard test for 30 minutes, but not an extended test. Also ran Western Digital Data Guard tool to check HDD. Neither threw up any issues with RAM or HDD.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why can't i find good info on that .sys file...some places are putting it in nvidia video..some are putting on the nvidia audio interface...

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi

Just been off browsing "nvarm.sys" - got this link:

http://forums.whirlp...cfm/478005.html

Still looking at some of what is said. Seems wide variety of possibilities....

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Most likely caused by nvarm.sys <- appears to be nVidia Audio Resource Monitor

now that makes sense Nvidia Audio Resource Monitor = nvarm did you update those drivers? how about the chipset drivers for the mobo?

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi

Did all the drivers I could find when it started crashing.

However, I simply installed them over the top of existing drivers. Just wondering if any milage in UNinstalling all existing drivers in SAFE, rebooting to safe and then reinstalling?

nForce Audio Codec Driver is 6.14.462.0
MCP APU driver is 6.14.462.0

Some of the drivers of the other System resource drivers are much earlier.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that that would clear something up...

also try runing chkdsk /f /r

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi dsenette

Tried running chdsk /f /r Disk came up clean. Confirmed previous scans by Norton Disk Doctor.

Just to add to the picture. Had another BSOD at 18.05 this evening after previous post. Simply moved screens in IE and bingo.

*** STOP 0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x00000007, 0x00000001, 0xEB2CA375)

*** nvarm.sys. - Address ECAA375 base at ECAAD000, Date Stamp 425d742d

Will look at RAM, PSU and nVidea drivers tomorrow.

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Did not get around to checking any hardware - something else cropped up AND on Saturday 04/03 - no crashes, no reboots, nothing went wrong.
But today....

Windows fell over completely and I tried to repair to no avail.

Got black screen with:

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM\
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using the main set up CD-ROM

Went into recovery console to chkdsk and I repaired an error. But could still not get Windows to run only repair by reinstal!!

So carried out a reinstall (deleting existing Windows but leaving existing C:Drive structure in place) and although got windows up and running am suffering from errors where the software will not install properly or at all.

So for example tried load latest Video drivers or Radeon 9500 Pro and ATI Radeon software and had to unistall and roll back to earlier version That is could not load latest Catalyst software - kept getting an error:

cti.exe application failed to load properly (0xc000035)

So then went back to earlier version. That was okay but only basic divers and ATI control panel.

So then moved onto loading main Applications.

Adobe 7 - no problems.

Configure PC for Home network and joining Workgrop - no problems.

Even got on line okay through IE. So Thought lets get security up and running.

Tried to install Norton System works and that keeps stopping with a message that it could no load - failing with a message

[indent=1]@RB_version Control BC731320-557D-4e8F-8CED-C......

It seems if the install is writing to certain to - I assume registry items/parts of HDD - it is encountering a problem. So perhaps it is a potentially failing hard-drive and the test utlity Iused is not picking it up.

I'm getting frustrated! Not sure what to do. Perhaps to try and copy all my files while I can.

Currently on wife's laptop as browsing without AV is properly asking for trouble.