Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Closedown & reboot

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...right now...let's see what you just did

how did you reinstall windows but leave the c: drive architecture in tact? describe that method in as m uch detail as possible

Advertisements

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Windows set-up said I could not have another copy of windows on the C.

So followed the prompts and it deleted the existing installation of Windows. It warned that not all the file structure might be there. Then rebooted and I had to install Windows back on the C drive.

Having done that - all the normal register and activate Windows etc. which I did.

But all the existing directories there with the applications sitting there but "unattached" to Windows. So I then started re-install of those. That was to the point that NSW aborted its install.

Just coming to the conclusion that I just need to start replacing components and see if it carries on occurring.. I am wondering if it is progressive disk failure...??

Windows froze on start-up this evening - got through log-on on and then as desktop opened up, it froze. Had to hard reboot, going into Safe Mode and run chkdsk. Then got going.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like your drive may be on it's way out...though that's not conclusive...if you have the ability to do so...(i hate having to go this route but at the moment it sounds applicable)...back up all your important data (documents, pictures, music, etc..) and the start over from scratch...delete the whole windows partition and format it then reinstall windows...see if this clears some stuff up..

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Everything is still backed up to DVD-RW from the full reinstall I did on 10 Feb 2006.

Because I thought Windows "tired" I did a full format and repartition at that time. Related to the crashes PRIOR to that (don't know if important) I had the drive partitioned using PartitionMagic. (I have resized partitions with it on and off for about 5 years - inc a previous PC - and never had any problems.) Came to try to resize partitions and got an error message that PM could not find Partition Allocation Table on two of the partitions within the extended partition (D and F) and could not resize. Did not think anymore of it, but was a contributory factor to deciding to do the full format and fresh install.

I'm just wondering that if I have to go down the reformat and reinstall may just as well get a new (and larger) HDD anyway.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that is deffinitely an idea...if the drive is failing (which it may very well be) it could just be a sign that it's time to upgrade and get a new drive...

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've only had one other HDD go on me about 6 years ago, but it did do all sorts of funny things to windows that need me to defrag quite often. ....which sets me thinking about what this one looks like...yes the C drive looks horrible.

So i shall go awy and defrag it.

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi

Windows fell over again yesterday evening in the middle of some gentle browsing.

got a black screen (again) with same message as on Saturday 4th

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Started up the Recovery Console and tried to do some of the basic repairs. No luck. But exactly the same as previous post I made when it black screened.

Did some research on Microsoft site and found article 307545. All horribly complicated stuff to delete files and manually restore from System restore. However, as this is 2nd time seems no point, so will start on checking and removing hardware bits tommorow.

Only other thought was have I got a virus in the BIOS? Suppose should try and clear CMOS tommorrow as well.

Currently running Memtest86+ and have run Western Digital test utility.

So will start on hardware removal/check/change tomorrow

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dsenette

Looks like I finally got to the bottom of the problem...after lots of other checks...and frustration

[indent=1]checked and tested power supply - no problem
[indent=1]checked RAM - could not be 100% sure - but seemed no problem

so tried installng a new hard drive - but lots of lock ups!...however I tried to install and format

...but a close inspection of of the motherboard revealed "fat" and what looks like leaky capacitors. Did not initially give it a thought (not the sort of think to look out for - if you don't really know....), but after 7 hours of getting nowhere phoned a PC repair company to see if they would sort out my problem (I know a defeat!). I explained to him the chain of events - and what I had observed, and he was due to come and collect the PC to see what the problem was.

The guy phoned back having done some research and said my symptom of "fat and leaky" capacitors was moving towards a failing Motherboard. He was good enough not to come and take my money just to say I needed a new one.

Pointed at some links -I attach some for info:

[indent=1]http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/bch20030207018535.htm
[indent=1]http://www.epinions.com/content_3906576516

So now I need to think what to do next - junk and break the whole PC up and start again or a new Motherboard, processor, graphics card....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup...bulging capacitors means death for a mobo...

ChrisJL

ChrisJL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi

Sorry not in been touch but have been very busy at work, and first opportunity to nudge my wife off her laptop.

Decided to break up the old PC and buy a new one, which I hope to have soon.

Thanks for the help. :tazz:

I think we should now treat this post as closed.

Advertisements

KGHN

KGHN

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I recently replaced the wimped power supply on my daughter's gaming machine with a tasty Enermax 465W P/S. That caused random reboots, until I (OK, laugh at me) realized that the US/European switch was set to 230V. I can't believe it actually worked somewhat in that state. I set it to 115V and now all is well.