Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too many security features

• Please log in to reply

jmibullfrog

jmibullfrog

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
I was reading through the initial tutorial on how to protect my computer, and saw that spyware, firewall and antivirus could all work together in unisan. I downloaded Kario firewall, Spware blaster, seek and destroy, and spywareguard. I wanted to find an antivirus software that is better than Norton too (Any suggestions?). I have so many system alert popups now, that it's more annoying than the add popups. Besides that I don't really know what to deny and what to permit. Any ideas to help me simplify and streamline my security?
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jmibullfrog...

For Anti-Virus, there are quite a few that are preferrable to Norton or McAfee. Avast and AVG both have free versions that are very adequate and easy to use. I prefer Avast, but they are both good. If you would rather purchase a "full version", have a look at Nod32.

For training the Firewall, a good rule of thumb is this: If you open an application and a warning pops up, it is probably directly related to that application. Tick the box to "Remember this action" (or similar), choose "Allow", and accept the change if prompted. Before long, it will be only the uninvited actions that will generate a warning.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 01 March 2006 - 03:12 PM.