Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why purchasing the second part cost more?

• Please log in to reply

ljCharlie

ljCharlie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm most curious about why when purchasing a customized PC, the additional part is always more expensive. For example, I went to Dell or CyberPowerSystem and customized a computer on their website. The first CPU is $400 and for purchasing the second CPU it will cost around $700 to $800 for the same exact CPU. Another thing is hard drives, and RAM memory. Why is the additional part always cost almost twice as the first? Do they know that I can easily buy the exact part off Pricegrabber or Nextag?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're wanting a fully customized pc...why not just go that route to start with? the big companies do offer customization..and make it pretty easy to customize...but...they don't ever make it cheap to customize...i find that the big companies are really only good when you want stock...if you want custum...build it from the groud up...or get a barebones from tigerdirect or something like that

ljCharlie

ljCharlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
And yes, I have done that many times. I would purchase my own case and everything and build it myself. But nowadays I just don't have the time to build it myself anymore...and it just makes me wonder why those company will do that. I just don't get how selling the second part with almost twice as the cost of the first would attract any consumer to buy.

Thank you for your response.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Just build one yourself, that way you are going to save the most money no matter what on parts that compare apples to apples lets say.

Dell overprices their stuff as well as any manufactured pc.

Cyberpower isnt that expensive as you have many choices to choose from and the parts like the motherboard are going to be higher quality depending on which one you choose.

The dell cheap pc's are what they cost, they are cheap made also. Im talking about the $400 dell pc's. You get what you pay for and you dont get much memory, harddrive space, or a quality video card at all....

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
http://www.buyxg.com/

is about the same as cyberpower but even cheaper on some parts..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It only take a few hours to build a pc and get it going if you invest a little prep time before hand, its a nice saturday afternoon job. This pc im on i got the parts i needed through at about 2 oclock on a saturday and i was playing it by 6.