Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet connection

• Please log in to reply

angeli

angeli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) :) Hi I am a System Analyst at the Home Care faciilty. We have 45 laptops for the nurses. There are three users I really have problem.
We have a application which synchronizes data thorough the web. That is the only time user needs to connect to internet. These users have either modem connection through their telephone line.
There are three users who have Optimum onlne cable connection. Their laptops somehow never disconnects from the internet. I have check all settings through the application. The web application communication files shows that they are disconnectting from the modem after the synchronization finishes. But the Event viewer logs shows that they are connected for 400 minutes and more for the time being.

I am very confused. I sent the files comm log files to the support group of that application group and they mentioned that there is nothing wrong with the connection. The modem is disconnecting form their application. But when I see bills for the end of the month it shows that those three users laptops had been connected for hours each day.

Please help. :tazz: :)
Angeli

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think we would need to know a lot more about the program and how it is set up and what they do to connect to speak intelligently on this.

I am going to take a reach, though---since the three problem PCs are "always on" connections (cable) are they connecting their laptops to a home network that has a router? Since the the router is what is actually making the connection for the laptop using NAT, these users may not be connecting and disconnecting in a way that registers with the software (since the router is not actually disconnecting--it is on 100 percent of the time)

Does your software have th ability to log off users who are not registering any activity? Does the program allow them some sort of way to disconnect a session? Is this a terminal server application?