Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to connect to ISP, FREEZES PC

• Please log in to reply

drc

drc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I thought it was Netzero software, and drove them crazy trying to fix it. I just loaded another isp software, and it does it too. As soon as I click the connect button, it locks up, and I have to power down.
I've tried disabling the firewall, virus program and uninstalling the popup blocker. Nothing else is running.
The problem is intermittent, and can take 1-5 tries to get online. I'm running win 2000 with plenty of memory.
I use IE6 This started a year ago, and has gotten progessivly worse. I've run various virus/trojan/adaware softwares, and found nothing. The PC/motherboard is 10 years old, but much of the software is recent.
Everything else works great, even the internet, when I can get on :tazz:

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hi, drc, welcome to geeks to go :tazz:

by what means are you connecting to the internet, dialup, cable, T1?

Edited by Mile Runner, 01 March 2006 - 10:20 PM.

drc

drc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
dial up 56k

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ah, dial-up. There are quite a few problems that can occur with dial-up.

The first thing I would try is switching what phone #s your dial-up dials. It sounds like the ones you are currently connecting to are very busy or are not that high quality.

drc

drc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've tried various ph numbers, no change, and they all use to work fine.
It acts like a software hang-up. As soon as you click the connect button it freezes. usually it goes thru some symbol changes before hearing the dial tone. Also the cursor and everything freezes. I'll try another number again anyway

drc

drc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it also looks like I'm getting a win 32 svc reg error. Looks like I should just get a new pc

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That sounds like you have an infection...which would explain your internet problems :tazz: Of course getting a new computer would solve that problem, but I'd go for the cheaper route of cleaning your computer.

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Since you can't connect to the internet with the infected computer the online scanners may be skipped. When it comes to downloading the programs that are scanners, such as spybot or ewido, you can download the updates from their website on a different computer and then transfer them to your computer. That way, those programs will be up-to-date.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 March 2006 - 07:56 AM.