Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant play media files online...

• Please log in to reply

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi people, maybe you can shed some light on my situation.

Say i want to watch a file on the internet, like a funny movie clip or something on Windows Meda Player or Real Player, nothing will happen!!! Ive tried many rememdies but none will work, even when the file opens in a stand alone player the file still wont play!!!

Could someone please help me? It is realy starting to bug me now...

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Killi

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Killi, Welcome to Geeks to Go!!!
first off you are going to need to update all the drivers and things.

second go to
tools>internet options>advanced>scroll down to multimedia settings and make sure IE any thing you dont want it too.

finally, do you have any kind of antivirus or firewall software?

thanks

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply, i appreciater it :tazz:
first off, yes, i have updated all the driversand things, and nothing has seemed to change...

right now im at college so ill give your second point a go when i get home tonight, and get bck to you on that tonight...

and yes, i am using antivirus and firewalls, but the problem only started a few weeks ago, and i had made no changes to my firewall for quite a while before that.

Thank you very much for your help Mile Runner...
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
Killi

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
hey just got home, umm, everything is ticked how i wanted it, so no changes there... :tazz:

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Can anyone else shed some light for me :tazz: :) :)

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
please dont bump your own topic, :tazz:

second, is it all in the same browser or is it in all browsers. i am trying to identify whether it is a browser of computer issue. :)

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ah ok sorry for bumpin, my mistake, yeh its in mozilla, and IE6 and the new BETA 7... :tazz: thnx man

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
this is going to sound odd, but you have both service packs instaled on your computer right? if you are not quite sure if you could post the header of a HJT log in your next post that whoudl be great. IE 7 Beta is just that, a beta, and if you dont have thoes service packs it is quite likely you have corruped something.

try this repair for IE:
A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP