Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Place movie into site

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hey i was wondering if it was possible to make a pop-up that would display a movie, if this isn't possible how do you put a movie onto a site?
thanx
James

Edit: by movie i mean something i created not an actual movie just to clarify.

Edited by james_8970, 01 March 2006 - 09:27 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Here's a basic way to add a movie to your site using a *.swf format:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="images/mediafilename.swf" height="60" width="250"><param name="movie" value="images/mediafilename.swf"><param name="quality" value="best"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"></object>

The paths listed in <para> tags for "data" and "value" are the paths to your movie. Loads *.swf file onto a transparent background.

Depending on your specific movie format, the above would be changed for type of player. There are a lot of other goodies that could be added between the <object> tags depending on your requirements.

As for a popup window, if people have popup blockers activated, it may not work. There's code to probably bypass this, but I'm not interested in working with it. Possibly Javascript or other language would work, but each has its own problems.

Ron

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i'm really new to all this, first time i even saw something like this, what is a .swf file? What i mean here is what program uses this.
thanx
James

Edit: scap the pop-up thing, i heard something about flash playing movies what is this and is it an easy way to get something up?

Edited by james_8970, 01 March 2006 - 10:38 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Without posting a lot of information that is available on the 'Net, it may help to check out this site for file formats information. Maybe print it out.

Video File Formats - File extensions used for video file types

To answer your specific question about a swf file format:

File Description Animation (often vector-based) created by Macromedia Flash; plays in Web browsers that have the Flash plug-in installed
Program(s) to open a swf file Mac / Windows: Macromedia Flash Player or Web browser with Flash plug-in installed

Above definition is from the site link above and is well worth perusing. Might note the file types that are used most commonly.

Ron

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hey i need some help again,
i have a file and its .DAT i think its related to nero but could be wrong. Can you tell me how i can change this into another format as i believe that its not working (can't get it onto the site).
thanx
James :tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are soooo many DAT files out there and if you have one and know the program that created it, you would be better off trying to use the same program to convert it into another program. Not familiar with Nero, but any program worth the money you paid for it should allow some way to convert between formats it uses.

I haven't found a utility app that does what you want, but it's something you might Google for on the 'Net.

Last DAT format I dealt with was a Digital Audio Tape. :tazz:

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge on this may come up with a good utility you can use to convert your files.

Ron

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
inorder to upload it to a webpage and work, you need to convert it to either .MOV, .MPG, .MPEG, or .SWF

you can use Nero to convert them to .MPG or .MPEG format, providing you have purchased the plugins to do it.

.MOV is Quicktime movie format, and .SWF is Flash format. These require specific software to convert videos to these formats.

.DAT format will not work on Websites, it's not a known extension.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya i understand that as i figured it out after it's refusal to work, i'm going to try out nero it came with my burner should it work?
thanx
James

P.S. shouldn't .wmv work?

Edited by james_8970, 13 March 2006 - 06:22 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
yes wmv will work also, forgot about that one. It's more of a resource hog then anything else because it doesn't compress the file. Depending on what it is your uploading to the server, or how often you're wanting to do it, you might think about looking into Flash. I realize it's not cheap however, it's nice having a pre-loader screen

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
but i'm wondering if there is any tool that can convert .dat into .wmv or on of the other ones. Because i would like to get this video up onto m site.
thanx

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
to my knowledge there is no program that will convert .dat to one of the other formats.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
well i have found one but it costs 100$, a little much for one project i'd say. However there must be something out there waiting for me to find it :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not following this thread too well, but would this be of any use? It's shareware and says DAT format:

Speed Video Splitter

Speed Video Splitter is a small video conversion tool. Fast conversion speed and easy user interface are its distinct strongpoints.

Speed Video Splitter supports various video formats, such as AVI(Divx,xDiv), MPEG-4, mpeg(vcd,svcd,dvd compatible), wmv, asf, Quick Time, VOB, DAT.

It supports Batch File Mode that can split more than one pieces, just needs one click.

Speed Video Splitter is a video conversion tool that splits video files.

Here are some key features of "Speed Video Splitter":

· Create DVD, VCD and SVCD (PAL,NTSC) compatible mpeg.
· Support Windows Media Format(wmv/asf).
· Support AVI(including the DivX format).
· Support Quick Time movie.
· Support Unencrypted Video DVD VOB format(need dvd decoder, download it from http://www.softflyers.com).
· Support Video VCD DAT format.
· Splite file between all supported formats.

Probably not what you wanted though. :tazz:

Ron

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
thats what i want, just looking around for a free copie, even a free trial that doesn't place some advertisement in the file when the are converting it.
thanx

Danon

Danon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Video to Flash Converter :whistling: