Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Windows Explorer fails to open

• Please log in to reply

twolfe87

twolfe87

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I'm in desperate need of some help here.

I was listening to some music on Napster on my laptop, and I attempted to start IE, it gave me an error message to the affect of "we're sorry IE has encountered a problem and needs to close" (I'm guessing you know the drill...) this persisted several times, at which point I said "ok, I'll just restart, attempted to restart using start menu. At this point all running programs started to bug out (msn messenger, napster, etc.) , all giving me the same type "we're sorry" messages. Then they wouldn't close on their own "not responding" it says.

Then in the midst of all of this, my compter begins to shut down, and restart. Only Problem is as soon as it boots up I get the "we're sorry" type message for Windows Explorer (yes, Windows Explorer), and later IE (which I'm not entirely sure why it's trying to start, but whatever...), that's it, nothing will load.

I should add I'm running XP professional.

So basically I'm dead, I'm posting this from my parent's desktop.

Anyone have any Ideas, I must admit I'm a little clueless here.

This could be a virus I suppose, but I'm pretty vigilant with my antivirus and spyware (I've worked with you guys before)

So really, can anyone help?, I'm in a serious jam, I go back to college next week, and I really need my laptop. Any advice is appreciated, you help me fix this you'll be my hero.

Thanks.

Edited by twolfe87, 02 March 2006 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I've restored to about a week ago (it was the last start point).

It restarts and Windows Explorer still fails to open, same error message.

This is really freaking me out.

Any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it load the desktop but no icons, if so, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter

If not, but ctrl + alt + delete gives you the start button

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I get nothing on the desktop, no icons, no start bar.

Task manager comes up when I hit ctrl + alt + delete .

I enter explorer.exe in the new task, it attempts to load for a moment, and then gives me the same "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem..." error.

I'm not entirely sure I have an XP CD, it's a dell you know, comes with xp installed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow an XP CD to run the system file check as long as it is the same version as was installed, if you downloaded SP2, you need an SP1 CD

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I thought I might add a bit just to give you a glimpse at the extent of the problem,

Throught the Task manager I can access virtually every program except Windows explorer, and Internet Explorer, those both give me error messages. I can even get Firefox to work through the task manager.

Should I perhaps try running some of my Antivirus software, Norton, Spybot SD?

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I may be able to borrow, an XP cd, these SP1 and SP2, they're service packs, right? How do I find out which one I'm running?

Of course ctrl + alt + delete doesn't open the start bar it opens the task manager, what am I to do there?

Edited by twolfe87, 02 March 2006 - 12:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If task manager opens and you click file then new task, type explorer.exe it should open the desktop, but the files must be missing

Since you got the PC, did you download SP2

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I don't believe I have, SP2 would be something I would have to go to MS's website for, it wouldn't just automatically update would it?

Is there some specific file or program I could look for?

Once again I've tried typing in explorer.exe, it gives me the same error message.

How could the file for my desktop just dissapear? I guess what I'm getting at is I've got my mother over my shoulder, and she's wondering if this is a virus, or MS, or what?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run these Online Scans if they all come back clear, it isn't that

If you click start then right click my computer, click properties, it will say SP2, but it doesn't tell you if it was SP1 then SP2 was downloaded, however, it is a 100MB + file so you would know if you had downloaded it

Have you updated it at all

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yeah, I'm guessing I haven't downloaded it, microsofts prompting me to update has been shotty at best (I'm thinking some of dell's programs interfere with it)

I can only open My computer through the Task Manager, so I cannot see what I'm running.

I have made some updates, but nothing as major as that sounds. Whether I was running either service pack I would need the SP1 disk though, right?

I'm going to try running those scans now.

Edited by twolfe87, 02 March 2006 - 12:56 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need an SP1 for SP1 install and SP2 for SP2 install, if you borrow the wrong one, it won't run it

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I'm thinking I'd probably be able to borrow both from my step-father's work, so that's not a big deal.

Unfortunately he took the day off work for a doctor's appointment, so I likely won't be able to get them until tomorrow.

Is there anything in the boot menu that would tell me which one I'm running?

Still running scans, they're going rather slow...

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
err...

I've been waiting for Norton to finish.

None of the online virus scans you provided me work with Firefox, any suggestions?