Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Windows Explorer fails to open

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is finding out what was originally installed, not what is running now, see if you can borrow both, if the PC is recent then SP2 is favourite

You can try this, though it may not help, it won't make it worse

http://xpero.msfn.org/?page=downloads

You need the top one, main mirror, 8.91MB

When you install, make sure the option to back up the current configuration, settings is ticked, also, click the + for extras and untick boot screen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need this as well

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, I'm still XPizing...what exactly is that doing anyways?

I'll download that next.

I've got a question on a side tangent, I was kind of in the middle of a paper for school when this whole business began, would you reckon it's safe for me to copy the file to flash memory to work on it on another computer? If this is some virus I'd really rather not spread it to my parent's computer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can copy the file then right click it in the other PC and scan it with the anti virus programme

You could be lucky if one of the files this replaces / updates is one of the ones stopping explorer, that's the theory, as long as you have it set to back up the current settings then it can be reversed

What is XPize

XPize is a GUI enhancer for Windows XP and above. It replaces most of the non-XP icons, avis and bmps that Microsoft has always overlooked.

The installer simply automates the process of replacing resources in critical system files, making your XP's look better.

It also includes some extras and a reloader, which you can use after visiting Windows Update.

XPize does not contain any spyware or ad-ware of any kind.

If you are not satisfied with the results, you can completely uninstall XPize.

XPize is compatible with any version (except x64) and any language of Windows XP (Home, Pro & MCE) and 2003.

Features

Patches more than 150 system files without user interaction.

Updates tons of old resources still existent in Windows XP coming from Windows 95/98/2000.

Gives Windows XP a fresh new look, with new animations, icons and images.

Installs some cool extras, such as a boot screen, logon screen, screensaver and more.

Lets you create a custom Windows CD using the I386 Patching feature.

Is compatible with nLite's hotfix integration.

Has advanced switches to let you install it silently and with the components you want.

System Requirements
Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 (any version (except x64), any language)

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Uh oh, Got back from letting Xpize reboot, now Firefox will load, but won't connect.

I'm on wireless, any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is that with the .net framework installed

Does IE do anything

Use another PC to download this, save to disc and then load it on this one

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

This resets the connection

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
IE does nothing, IE and Windows explorer seem to be the only two programs that don't work.

I believe it is with the .Net framework.

If I had to, how would I go about uninstaling Xpize (using the task manger) to get back my old settings?

Edited by twolfe87, 02 March 2006 - 03:13 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has to be .net framework 2, which was the second one in post 17

If you have that, download this, 1.25MB

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Open it, click tools, scroll down to XPize 4.2 then click it, then click run uninstaller

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
That thing that was supposed to reset the connection didn't do anything, it still won't connect to the internet.

I'm installing the .net 2 framework 2 by disk, but I can't seem to get that filehippo thing to download, the computer I'm on right now freezes whenever I try (IE locks up).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will be a lot easier when you get an XP CD, you can restore the needed files then build on that, see if .net framework helps

You can type msconfig then press enter in task manager, new task, then click start up, remove the tick for XPize reloader, click apply and reboot to stop it running

Advertisements

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I downloaded that Crap Cleaner from an alternative source, I'll work on getting Xpize off there, see if it will connect.

I typed in msconfig, but I don't see an Xpize reloader on the startup tab, unless it's called something different.

If this is going to be dramtically easier with the CD I guess I'll see you tomorrow

Thanks,

Tyler

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be easier with the CD

The alternative is downloading other things, which you don't need beyond doing one thing

You've seen this before, but you can go back to earlier, and just put the evening down to the pleasures of computing

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Whoa! Help, I uninstalled Xpize and my desktop turned to junk, how do I change it back?

Edited by twolfe87, 02 March 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use system restore from the command prompt, post 27

twolfe87

twolfe87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well, that kind of settles it in my mind that it's some kind of virus.

Is the CD gonna be ablle to fix that?