Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby/sleep problem

• Please log in to reply

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Two things:
Sometimes when my computer goes into sleep (or standby, i guess i don't know the difference), it is irretrievable unless i manually shut it down by holding the power button.
Secondly, when i try to manually put my computer into sleep/standby mode, it shuts down the moniter and shuts off the harddrive but then immediately starts back up again. I've tried every single combination of standby/sleep/hibernate settings in the power settings menu and can't find any thing that works. please help!!
Thanks!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello hempinBeeRad.

Has your Standby/Hibernate ever worked before, or has this problem just started?

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I've had my computer for a year and a half and it hasn't worked for about a year of that. I never really worried about it but it'd be nice if it works.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I suspect your problem is related to your power supply. It could be a few other things too. I wanna check the voltages of your power supply before we try anything else.

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
there ya go

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
uhhh, i closed SpeedFan, and my fan kicked in and hasn't stopped for about 15 minutes. Bad news?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There must be something wrong with the sensors on your computer. If those readings were accurate, your computer wouldn't even be on right now :) .

Let's move on to the next thing :tazz:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now manually put your computer into sleep/standby mode. If it is an error causing it to spontaneously start up again, hopefully it will display that error rather than looking like everything is normal this time. This will hopefully result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

If that does not occur, but the computer does restart, do this:

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>
Look under APPLICATIONS and SYSTEM for errors and report back anything you find.

PS: Speed Fan puts your fans at max upon exit. Nothing to worry about. Just restart the computer and it will return to normal.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 March 2006 - 05:18 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I'll just take Screen shots of all the errors, way too many to type ... i've categorized all the errors together. Under System, the first screenshot (labeled '2') shows a variety of errors. these aren't repeated except the one from Source 'DCOM'. This one's repeated hundreds of times to the point where I could send you 10 screenshots to get them all. They're all the same except for the time that they occurred. The last screenshot shows a bunch of DCOM ones and then one final error that's different.
ummmm, i just found out that i have to use more than one post to send all the screenshots.
Oh, and when I put my computer into standby, it just jumped back out with no error message.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here's screenshot '2'

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.JPG

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here's screenshot '3'

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Jeez that's a lot of errors!! :tazz:

This could possibly take a while to fix...we'll see what the descriptions of the errors tell me.

I'm gonna need more information on each of the errors. For each of the following that I'm about to list, double-click on them and copy their description. Make sure you put the name of the Source above each description so I know which one the description belongs to.

Get me the description for one occurance of each of the following:

Alert Manager Event Interface (warning)
Alert Manager Event Interface (error)
Application Error
Application Hang
DCOM
Service Control Manager
cdrom
atapi

find one occurance of each, double-click on it, and copy its description. Post the description with the source above it (such as DCOM) so I know which one the description belongs to.

I have a feeling we'll end up doing an XP repair or "sfc /scannow" to repair/replace any corrupted files. Before I decide to go that route, I'd like to see what these errors are about. Do you have an XP CD (not a restore CD) handy in case we need to do a repair?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 March 2006 - 09:44 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Here's all the errors. As you'll see, there are some with the same heading but i found that they were different errors. I've included them all (except for a few that said something like 'ipod service failed to load: this has happened 1 time" or "spysweeper failed to load: this has happened 1 time." And, I may have an XP cd back at school (which I'll be returning to in 2 days) but I doubt it. I neglected to check that Best Buy gave me the cd when I picked up my computer ::kicks self extremely hard::

Application Error
Faulting application aim.exe, version 5.9.3861.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x1221254f.

Application Hang
Hanging application mmjb.exe, version 10.0.4.15, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000. **mmjb is Music Match Jukebox**

Alert Manager Event Interface
VirusScan Enterprise: The update failed; see event log.(from YOUR-46E94OWX6A IP 127.0.0.1 user SYSTEM running VirusScan Ent. 8.0.0 UPD)

Application Error (different)
Faulting application m3.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module d3dim700.dll, version 5.3.2600.2180, fault address 0x00016201.

Faulting application m3.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module m3.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0006ebba.

Faulting application demo32.exe, version 6.53.41.0, faulting module demo32.exe, version 6.53.41.0, fault address 0x00039a60.

Windows cannot access the file E:\Bin\demo32.exe for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program DemoShield Run-Time Player because of this error.

Program: DemoShield Run-Time Player
File: E:\Bin\demo32.exe

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Additional Data
Error value: C0000012
Disk type: 5

Service Control Manager
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBT service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Service Control Manager
The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Service Control Manager
The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD Networking Support Environment service which failed to start because of the following error:

Service Control Manager
The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

Service Control Manager
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
AmdK8
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NaiAvTdi1
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Tcpip

**the past 5 groups of "Service Control Manager" was a repeat error 5 times**

Service Control Manager
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the crd service to connect.

Service Control Manager
The crd service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

DCOM
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} **this error repeats a few times**

DCOM
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} **this error repeats a few times**

DCOM
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} **this error repeats a few times**

DCOM (this is the error with hundreds of repeats)
The server {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

cdrom
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

Atapi
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

PlugPlayManager
The device 'ASUS CRW-4832AS' (IDE\CdRomASUS_CRW-4832AS_________________________0.67____\5&11094d5e&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Ipnathlp
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Good job with providing me with that info. You did a very thorough job :tazz: It's starting to look like we'll do a repair, but I want you to do one more thing before I decide to do that or not.

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Attach the one named "rightframe.html" to your next post. The other two may be deleted from the desktop.

This will help me to determine whether to repair or do something else.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 03 March 2006 - 07:42 AM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here it is ...

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here it is ...