Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby/sleep problem

• Please log in to reply

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here it is ...

Advertisements

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
stupid internet. finally, here it is for real ...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's see if we can solve your standby problem by messing with some settings. Go into BIOS and enable the APM (Advanced Power Management).

To get into BIOS

You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After you've enabled APM (Advanced Power Management), start your computer normally. Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options (icon) > APM (tab) > tick the "Enable Advanced Power Management Support" tick-box. Reboot and try "Standby" mode.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
some problems ... i had 3 options - enter recovery(f10), boot menu(esc), or setup(f1). I entered setup and spent about 10 minutes trying to find Advanced Power Management. Couldn't find it. There was a Main tab, Boot tab, Power tab, Exit tab, and possibly one more that I can't remember the name of. Nothing had anything closely resembling APM. I checked Control Panel to see if it was already enabled and a no go. Hmmmm. I'm going to check Boot menu (fruitlessly) and if there isn't a reply to this in 5 minutes, expect that i found nothing.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty. Let's move on.

I strongly suspect an infection. Not only do you have a new version of Limewire, but you also have Ares (from what I can tell, it's the infected regular version instead of the lite version). You can look at this website for more information about Limewire and Ares. For all I know you have an infection causing all these errors and problems. So...

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

PS: When you are receiving help from a malware expert, please ask him to have you scan your computer for rootkits. Rootkits will not show up in HijackThis and don't show up with conventional scans. It looks like you may have a rootkit infection too.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 04 March 2006 - 12:37 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hey hey,
it's been a little while, but i got a clean bill of health from Pieter. . .

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, it has been a while...

I need to know if you are still having the errors. I also have an easier way for you to copy and send me the errors:

Download and run WinAudit. Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. In order to protect the safety of your computer, do NOT attach the folder to a post here. Take that folder and send it to me through a PM (Private Message) instead, that way it is not available to the public.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There's seems to be a problem. Are you receiving my Private Messages? I've sent 2 already.

Anyway, if for some reason you're not receiving them, do this:

Take the Winaudit log and attach it here. After I download it, I will let you know and you can edit out of your post.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yeah, i'm not receiving your PM's. odd.

Edited by hempinBeeRad, 25 March 2006 - 06:35 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alright, I got it. You can edit out the attachment.

Also, did you do the scan with Rootkit Revealer? If so, attach that log too. If you need the instructions again, let me know.

Advertisements

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
here's the rootkit revealer stuff

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I meant attach the log that the RookitRevealer scan generates.

Do a scan with it, save the log, and attach that, not the program itself :whistling:

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hahaha, oops. :whistling:

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Rootkit log looks clean to me...

Now to address the system errors: DCom errors can be caused by the DCom service not started or not starting.

Click Start, then Run, type C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch and click "Ok".

Also, you said your standby/hibernate works now, but not restart. Can you describe exactly what happens when you restart?

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 March 2006 - 04:52 PM.

hempinBeeRad

hempinBeeRad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I copy/pasted what you wanted me to run and nothing happened. :whistling: As far as what happens when I restart: My computer logs me off, shuts down almost completely (the harddrive doesn't stop spinning and the light on my tower stays on blinking). Then it just hangs there doing nothing until I manually shut it down and then start it back up.