Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't SEE downloaded items on desktop

• Please log in to reply

Ruben Rodriguez

Ruben Rodriguez

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I download a program or doc to my desktop from the internet and when I go back to run them i don't see it. I am logged in as administrator and the only way I can run and see what I downloaded is to open my computer > c: > documents and settings > administrator > desktop

What gives?????

Any suggesstions?

Thank you

Edited by Ruben Rodriguez, 02 March 2006 - 07:50 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ruben Rodriguez...

I'm not sure why this is happening (perhaps someone who has experienced this can enlighten us both), but here's a suggestion to help "manage" your downloads.

Right click the desktop and point to "New", select "Folder...name it "downloads". Open this newly created folder and repeat the procedure, but name this new folder "installed".

The next time you download something, point it to this folder (or set the default download location in your browser to point to it). Once you "use or install" the downloaded file, move it into the "installed" folder. I include this folder in my weekly backups so that I'll always have these downloads available should something happen to the operating system.

wannabe1

Calmae

Calmae

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im not here to correct you on that suggestion but can i suggest My Documents as a better place for such a folder as too much data on the desktop can slow down the windows boot quite considerably.

I remember working on a PC a while back where the user had all their documents, downloads, programs and games all installed directly onto the desktop. The boot time was about half an hour :tazz:

Edited by Calmae, 02 March 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Ruben Rodriguez

Ruben Rodriguez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will create a folder under my documents and route the downloads to there. FYI After I download and install I delete the files. I love having a clean desktop!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, it's not what resides on the desktop that determines how long a machine takes to complete the startup routine. It's how many programs are set to start and run each time you start the machine. I have 55 icons on my desktop (actually...3 of them are widgets that run on startup) and the machine boots in 24 seconds.

Slow booting is usually caused by too many programs loading at startup, driver problems, registry problems, or malware.

wannabe1