Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - nav4_disp stuck in infinite loop

• Please log in to reply

hope-CA

hope-CA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a Dell 8300, Windows XP Pro (SP2 via downloaded update). NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. Worked fine for two and a half years, up until yesterday morning: BSOD. Message is: "nv4_disp got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Technical information: *** STOP:0x000000EA (0x86F51020, 0x86F65850, 0xXF79D8CBC, 0x00000001) nv4_disp."

I tried uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers downloaded from Dell's site. Installed properly, no issues, rebooting in safe mode, new hardware recognized. Reboot normally, back to BSOD. I tried installing updated drivers downloaded from NVidia's site - same result. I tried System Restore three different times, going back to three different restore points upt to a week before the error began - reboot normally = same BSOD.

Note: I'm not a gamer, not running any programs with extensive graphics requirements. Mostly industry standard apps (Microsoft Office 2003, Quicken, Adobe Standard) -- also use Macromedia Authorware 7.02. ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. avast antivirus. AdAware SE, Spybot 1.4 all kept updated - ran McAfee's stinger.exe to double check and make sure a virus hadn't slipped through - nothing.

I can boot to Safe Mode. Don't know what else to try. Should I remove the video card and reseat it?

Edited by hope-CA, 02 March 2006 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

Calmae

Calmae

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is microsofts solution:

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q293078

Though the replacement of the Video card is a little extreme.

If you have an onboard video card I suggest unplugging your card, booting up with the monitor plugged into the oboard card, removing all traces of the card, reboot fully then switch off and plug the card back in.

Edited by Calmae, 02 March 2006 - 08:45 AM.

hope-CA

hope-CA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for pointing me to that article - really appreciate it. FWIW, their workaround (setting hardware acceleration to none) didn't affect or bypass anything. Right back to the same BSOD.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try reseating the card...or better yet....if you also have an onboard graphix card..boot into safe mode...uninstall it...then remove it completely...plug back into the onboard port...and run drivercleaner to remove all the nvidia drivers....reinstall the card....install the updated drivers...from dell....and then go back and disable the onboard card...and use the other card