Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell hardware

• Please log in to reply

mikeyj

mikeyj

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My Dell Dimension computer has been powering off on boot before getting to windows. When fooling around on the inside I banged on a large green plastic item and this seemed to cure. What's going on? How much trouble am I in?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
large green plastic item....banged? wha?

so it's been completely powering down during boot? before or after bios? before or after the "windows loading screen"

mikeyj

mikeyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's completely powering down. Sometimes it got beyond Bios. Selecting safe windows load was not any help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get into bios try to find a section for "pc health" or something like that...see what your system temps are....

mikeyj

mikeyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The system is at home and I'll try this evening. Like I said, it seems to be working now and I should be able to get into Bios. Thanks. But what is inside the Green Plastic thingy? Why would my expressing my frustration on an innocent part be helpful? Thanks/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe you scared it? without seeing the magical green thing...i can't really say what it is..