Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

logon hangs at applying personal settings

• Please log in to reply

ehosto

ehosto

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a domain that runs windows server 2003 SBS. a majority of my client computers had XP Home installed on them long before I started working here. I have since gone through the individual computers and upgraded them to XP Professional. One of the consequences of that has been the logon time when the clients logon to the domain. the computers seem to hang at "applying personal settings" or "applying computer settings". What could be the cause of this??? Is it DNS? I have gone through my DNS server and all the settings are correct. Also, In order to run our timecard software, sometimes, I must add the client domain user account to the local Power user account in order to run the software. Quite a few of the client computers (previous home version), cannot "see" the domain when I try to pick location after selecting add to the group from the user accounts on the local machine. The only location that comes up is the machine itself. Is this related to the logon??? Please help.
Thanks

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
if it hangs at "applying personal settings" check the server, as it may be runnign slow, what would the specs of your windows 2k3 sbs server?

cause i had the same issue, it takes forever to logon, but i upgraded my server and its a lot faster now.

cause the server prolly can barely handle one login, and it is slow enough were it takes enough time to associate everything.

i know this worked with win2k3 ent. server

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My server runs dual 3GHz pentium xeon processors, 1GB RAM, IDE RAID 5 (yes, it is IDE) with 3-250GB Hard drives, 1GB network card. They used to run 3 nic cards on this server, but I brought it down to one so everyone can browse the network.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you r unning any logon scripts what soever? howbout wins?

i've got some software at work that requires certain users to be in the power users group as well

you could (if you have a static list of users that have to be in the power users group) do the following in a batch file

net localgroup "Power users" /add "domainname\username or domaingroup name"

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, I'll try that script for power users. I don't run any login scripts. There is a sbs login script that maps each user to their user share folder, but that's built into SBS. I'm running WINS, but I just checked it and there are only 2 active records on the WINS server

Edited by ehosto, 02 March 2006 - 02:41 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that that would be doing it..but...maybe not...so you're actually using the small business server login script for that?...have you looked into just setting each user's home folder in their user account to a specific drive (here at work...the home folder for each user in the actual profile, is set to a specific folder...and the user's username as the folder name...automatically makes the folder on the server and maps it by default with no other interaction)

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm sorry, I'm actually doing as you say. the drive is mapped automatically in the user's account as their home folder.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...then that's almost deffinitely not the issue
server is physically up to the task.
you're not running any logon scripts.

are you mapping any other drives automatically? are you using any GPO settings at all to control the domain?

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I'm not mapping any other drives automatically. the other drives that are mapped are physically mapped at each workstation. Not using and GPOs to contol the domain.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm.....i'm on my way to being out of ideas

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what about logging into the desktop locally...llike not to the domain but to the machine...does it log in faster?

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. it's much, much faster

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alrighty...that pretty much assures that it's a network problem

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
But what on the network? is it cabling, is it DNS, is it the server? Is it AD?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is it just the updated computers that hang?