Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

logon hangs at applying personal settings

• Please log in to reply

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. new ones that come with xp pro and the other computers that had xp pro already on them do not experience this lag.

Advertisements

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes. the new computers that come with Pro on them and the other ones that had pro already on them do not experience this lag

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
do you have any other AD servers in your domain forest?

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just added another DC in the domain. It is used strictly to run our Accounting Program, but it is a DC

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why is it a dc? if all it's doing is running the accounting program?

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I set it up that way so that I didn't have to enter the users in the local user database. Everyone uses this server so I would have had to put everyone as a user in it. It was easier to make it a DC. The reason everyone uses it is because our timesheet is done throught this program

Edited by ehosto, 03 March 2006 - 09:11 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got a full active directory structure....you would have just needed it to be a member server...not a dc at all...they still would have been able to log on as users and everything else..because AD would be controlling authentication....not the server...no one should be logging on with local accounts in an ad domain

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried it as a member server and no one could logon to the machine without credentials.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
huh...well..however it's set up i gues...heheh...if it's a dc...then it's got to be doing replication with the pdc....how is the wins replication set up on both machines?

ehosto

ehosto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
WINS is only running on the pdc.

Advertisements

Amdy

Amdy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Active directory uses DNS - not wins. Wins was used for NT Domains and should be discarded once you have an Active Directory environment.
The other server you made into a DC should have been a member server under the current AD Domain. If users couldnt get to that server, your server wasnt in the domain correctly.

As for the upgraded machines taking an unusual amount of time applying computer settings, its probably a SID issue, you may have to move the computer accounts into the same OU as the user accounts. How did you structure your AD environment? Ideally you want the user and computer accounts in the same OU so you can apply computer and user group policies

Andy

scottsonline

scottsonline

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have exactly the same problem. I am running a SBS 2003 with 6GB RAM. Clients in the small LAN are mixed XP Pro and Vista. All machines have a delay and hang logging on and off. The Vista machines are particularly bad. I have done all the obvious checks, local RAM, spyware etc and all systems are healthy. There appears to be a DNS problem. For some reason clients are using 194.72.9.34 and 194.72.9.38. The server is using 192.168.16.2. However....when I changed a client PC to match the server DNS the log on was no quicker and the internet was painfully slow. I hope that someone can advise:

1. Is the DNS set up incorrect?
2. Is this causing the slow log ons?
3. Whats the correct settings for DNS, DHCP?

Thanks!!!