Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 2 PCs

• Please log in to reply

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just wondering if I'm doing this right. Here's my set up

I have 2 PCs connected to a wired Linksys router. PC1 is Xp home and PC2 is 2000Pro. PC2 is connected but does not have a monitor

I want to be able to access resources on PC2 from PC1. I am able to connect to the internet from either PC and can ping each PC from the other. The PCs can see each other and I can see PC2 from My network places. I have enabled file and print sharing on PC1. Both PCs are a member of the default workgroup MSHOME. If I click on PC2 from PC1 in the My network places I cannot access anything from PC2.

Now I can access resources on PC2 from PC1 if I use the UNC name (\\pcname\c$) but that is after I share PC2's Hard drive.

I guess my question is, have I done this the correct way? Should I have to enter by browser and input the UNC name in order to access those resources on PC2? or is there an easier way of doing this other than connecting the PCs with a crossover cable?

Edited by Mayor_McCheese, 02 March 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Mayor_McCheese,

I guess my question is, have I done this the correct way? Should I have to enter by browser and input the UNC name in order to access those resources on PC2? or is there an easier way of doing this other than connecting the PCs with a crossover cable?

No, you shouldn't have to enter the full path; if everything was working as it should be, then you should be able to access it through My Network Places.

Now I can access resources on PC2 from PC1 if I use the UNC name (\\pcname\c$) but that is after I share PC2's Hard drive.

Then what did you have shared prior to sharing the whole Hard Drive? Did you have only a specific folder shared?

This is an odd one :tazz:

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Then what did you have shared prior to sharing the whole Hard Drive? Did you have only a specific folder shared?

This is an odd one

Prior to sharing the whole hard drive I did not share anything.. when accessing My Network places, I could see PC2 but when clicking on it I only had options for Printers and faxes and Scheduled tasks. I guess this is part of my question. When connecting 2 PCs to a router, do you have to go in and share everything on each PC to order to access it from the other?

I do not have any firewall running on PC 2 also.

Also if I tried to add this PC from Add network place wizard it would not allow me to add PC2.. only what ever was shared on PC2.

For now, I have the 2 hard drives as shared from PC2 and I was able to map to those shares from PC1. It just seems like I'm missing something to make this process a little more easier.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

When connecting 2 PCs to a router, do you have to go in and share everything on each PC to order to access it from the other?

You don't have to share "everything", but rather only the files that you want to be accessible from the other PC. If it's not Shared, then it's not accessible; if you share the whole hard drive, then everything will be accessible.

Also if I tried to add this PC from Add network place wizard it would not allow me to add PC2.. only what ever was shared on PC2.

That's perfectly normal. It's intended to allow users to share only specific folders with other members of their network, and is very handy... For example, I only have "My Shared Folder" shared on my network, and I simply transfer anything I want to share into that folder. It simply allows you to retain your privacy whilst at the same time sharing :tazz:

It just seems like I'm missing something to make this process a little more easier.

It looks to me like everything is in order. How do you feel this process could be easier? Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Are you able to access everything that is Shared from My Network Places? If so, then you have successfully set up File Sharing. How did you envision you would be able to share files between the two computers? It might just be that File Sharing isn't the right method for you.

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It looks to me like everything is in order. How do you feel this process could be easier? Perhaps I'm overlooking something. Are you able to access everything that is Shared from My Network Places? If so, then you have successfully set up File Sharing. How did you envision you would be able to share files between the two computers? It might just be that File Sharing isn't the right method for you.

I am able to access everything that I have shared. I guess I just thought this would be accessed as if I had added a second hard drive. Thanks for your time

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can open up my computer and choose tools from the menu then choose map network drive assign a drive letter then put in \\computername\sharedfoldername as the path

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

you can open up my computer and choose tools from the menu then choose map network drive assign a drive letter then put in \\computername\sharedfoldername as the path

Yup, thats exactly what I had done

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and?

Mayor_McCheese

Mayor_McCheese

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip