Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What does it take to build a new computer from Scratch

• Please log in to reply

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
If you have all the parts, to build computer, what does it take to put them all together. It is one thing to snap and screw all the parts into the case and connect the cords correctly.

What elese do i need? I saw someone posting about drivers?

I would have operating system becuase I would use my old hardrive (unless the new motherboard I bought supports only SATA connections and then my old hardrive would be useless.

I will post my specs later but they may not be necessary becuase this is a general question about putting everything together (not about what hardware to buy)

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as far as putting it together...all you need is two hands and a screwdriver...

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It would be my 1st time so I am a little jittery.

This is what i bought, I still need a case. My old alienware case from 6 years ago won't fit everything.

Thi is case I was going to get:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119077

I was going to wimp out and return everything but if it is so easy I will give it a try! Just afraid i will get it all in place and won't work!

1 Discount FOR 19-104-245&13-138-268 Item #: COM $-10.00

Track 1 AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model SDA2800BXBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819104245 $75.00

Track 1 Rosewill RV450-2 ATX 2.01 450W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817182015 $39.99

Track 2 G.SKILL 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-512NT - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231029 $68.42

Track 1 BIOSTAR TForce6100 Socket 754 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813138268 $69.25

Track 1 CHAINTECH SE6600G Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814145098 $126.00

Subtotal: $368.66
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $26.54
Printer-friendly Version Total: $395.20

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
off hand that stuff seems to all be fine

one thing that i failed to mention

I would have operating system becuase I would use my old hardrive (unless the new motherboard I bought supports only SATA connections and then my old hardrive would be useless.

you will need to reinstall whatever os you have no matter what hd it is...especially with xp.....it's tied directly to the motherboard...if you move the drive to a different motherboard....it won't work;....period..unless it's the exact same model of m otherboard...so...if you don't have a copy of your os..you will need to get one

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Understood, I only have xp upgrade so I may have to install win 98 and upgrade again, I hope new motherboard will take win 98?

Also Will I have to buy new hardrive? Not sure if new system will allow ata hardrive or have to use new sata ones?

Anything eles I need to add? Floppy maybe rw later?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Understood, I only have xp upgrade so I may have to install win 98 and upgrade again, I hope new motherboard will take win 98?

if you have the xp upgrade....all you need is the 98 disk...you don't have to install 98...you just install xp with the upgrade disk..and it will ask for the 98 disk for proof

Also Will I have to buy new hardrive? Not sure if new system will allow ata hardrive or have to use new sata ones?

most motherboards (even te ones with sata support) still have normal ide controllers and all that jazz..so you whould be fine

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Great :tazz: ! I will cancel my RMA

Is my case suitable or I can get the 1ton no frills one from Compusa locally but it weights (feels) like it 100 lbs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as long as the case is the same form factor as your motherboard it should be fine...

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok now I have to stop feeling physically sick about the whole project and give it a try...

I just hope everything is straight forward and clear and no surprises.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there are always surprises....but they can usually be dealt with..you'll be fine...if you run into trouble...just ask for help

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for positive replies!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, I built a pc with that case not too long ago...liked it quite a bit. Very nice case. I don't know what the Compusa case is, but I am generally of the opinion they are over priced and under quality.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
found this case - cheap and lots of fans.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811220011

I don't have floppy, cd/dvd either, should I salvage from a pII in my office of buy new from Egg?

Also I assume 3 slots from ram, should I just be happy with 2 stacks if 512 or and a 3rd of 1 gig? Someone told me the 3rd stick won't dual?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if it still works, I always salvage...think my floppy is from my original 8086 machine....