Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Proxy Servers

• Please log in to reply

jesse1579

jesse1579

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I work for a school system and I'm having some problems. Basically some of the kids are using proxy servers to get around our internet ip filtering software. I've tried the try and true like using google translate to translate the site in english and let me view it but that doesn't work. I've also tried to set up a proxy server, but it still doesn't work. I can turn on the filter to block all proxy servers, but the problem is for the life of me I can't figure out how they got it to work. Any ideas? We are mostly running win XP with the most recent updates. Our filter is an AREN content filtering that block by ip address. It's provided by 8e6 Tech.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow...you guys may be needing to get a better content filter here...a simple google search on Be6 Tech came up with a vast multitude of links of how to bypass their software and get to whatever you want however you want....doesn't seem very secure at all..

what i couldn't find was a link to their actual website for a manual or something like that....do you have a link to the be6 website?

could you describe your actual network setup? is this a highschool or a college? domain or workgroup or is this just internet sharing stuff?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Thats cuz you googled for BE6 and not 8E6.

Although you are still correct.

Look into Dan's Guardian.

http://dansguardian.org/

ScHwErV :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pffftttttttt why did they have to make the 8 look like a b? why....grr

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a quick question on the filter you've already got...is it a hardware filter or software?

jesse1579

jesse1579

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It's a hardware filter. We have domains set up for each of our 3 schools. The schools all attach back to our central office via Fiber or a T1. Once back at the central office we connect out via a T1 that goes through our hardware filter.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what i've got here at work as far as proxy is a sqiud proxy server..it runs on a linux box....we had to get someone to come and set it up and all that jazz...so i'm not familiar with the install and setup of the device at all..but it works very well...you can also set up a gruop policy setting to denote this box as the proxy server...and have everything set up to where if they don't go through that proxy then they can't get to the net...of course that portion of it is handled by my firewall...we also have a barracuda networks spyware firewall 310....which may be more suited to your use....as it doesn't need to be set as the proxy...it just works by filtering everything that goes through it...it does content filtering...mime blocking...spyware blocking spyware scanning (if you buy the extra package you get spyware removal as well) stops ad popups all kinds of fun stuff...but it also can deny ALL external proxy pages and all that jazz...it's easy to set up and works EXTREMELY well...

jesse1579

jesse1579

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the help. I can block them out no problem. Our filter will allow you to turn off all proxy servers and only allow you to connect though us. The problem is that I can't figure out how they got it to work. The was is stands now when you try to reroute through a proxy server you still get blocked. I just though someone on here might know how they did. I can stop them from connecting, I just can't duplicate their results.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...i got ya...sorry..was a little cornfused

jesse1579

jesse1579

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey, no bid deal. I appreciate the help. It's just one of those things that bothers me that I can't seem to figure out.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I can turn on the filter to block all proxy servers, but the problem is for the life of me I can't figure out how they got it to work.

Thanks for the help. I can block them out no problem. Our filter will allow you to turn off all proxy servers and only allow you to connect though us. The problem is that I can't figure out how they got it to work. The was is stands now when you try to reroute through a proxy server you still get blocked. I just though someone on here might know how they did. I can stop them from connecting, I just can't duplicate their results.

those statements seem contradictory