Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused - My PC keep trying to boot from LAN

• Please log in to reply

qball419

qball419

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok...I've stumble upon a very annoying problem. Here's the deal: I've just installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2003 on an old IBM machine that has P3 processor with 20GB Hard Drive, and 256MB RAM.
When I power up, it keeps trying to load from the LAN adapter. And it tells me to "Press Home to exit RPL
loader". When I go into BIOS configuration setup, I noticed that I had the boot sequence to HD first, then Floppy
Drive. Booting from network is not even on the startup sequence. I have also change my BIOs setting to default and it keeps trying to boot from the network card.

If I press "Home" exit RPL loader, then Windows Server 2003 loads up properly. But it is just annoying to have
the PC trying to boot from the network at startup. I can't think of any logical reason as to why it is doing this.
Can someone shed some light regarding this matter? I can't think of anything else I can do. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Q

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Generally speaking, you don't reboot servers too often...that said...

I think the clue here is the old IBM machine....look for a setting that says something like harddisk pre-delay, or something similar. Older PCs, built when harddrives took a while to spin up, had a harddrive setting called pre-delay, which allowed the drive to spin up to speed before the motherboard switched control to the OS.

You can lengthen the pre-delay a couple seconds, or try putting the floppy, then cd-rom, then drive.