Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios Problem Help

• Please log in to reply

onthebusmall

onthebusmall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am pretty sure the bios is fine but i have a hdd problem. Im running one ATA hdd and one SATA hdd and only the ATA is being recognized, im not sure which one windows is on but if its on the SATA that could be the cause of my problem ("error loading os"). Although since i reset the cmos and the bios is updated why am i not able to setup windows on just the ATA like usual without it trying to load the os?

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

on reboot i got the message "error loading operating system". It wont allow me to boot xp from the cd, the error is as far as i get

I am pretty sure the bios is fine but i have a hdd problem

Trust me, your BIOS is configured incorrectly re: Boot Sequence. As to your SATA drive, you will need drivers for the controller before your system is going to recognize this drive.

It appears that there might be a little more to this machine's history than you have conveyed.

:tazz:

onthebusmall

onthebusmall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry about the post earlier, i ment to say i can access the bios but after all is saved and rebooted the postscreen is where i will run into trouble. What do i need to configure in my bios and how will i be able to load the drivers if im not able to access windows setup?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Go to page 3-12 in your motherboard manual where you will find instructions on setting your Boot priority and instructions on enabling your SATA (Via) controller. You will need to download SATA drivers from your motherboard's website or extract them from your motherboard driver disc to a floppy (OK, you don't have one, so make a CD with them - don't just copy them, the MOBO CD will have a file to make a driver disk.

Once set correctly, you will be able to boot from a bona fide XP CD and do an installation or repair an existing installation. You will get an F6 prompt during setup which permits you to load SATA drivers. Do you have your original XP CD? Have you installed any service packs since this machine was originally setup? Who originally set this up for you?

Edited by Rockster2U, 17 March 2006 - 04:40 AM.

onthebusmall

onthebusmall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll give that a try tonite. I still have my OEM win xp cd with service pack 2 and i set it up originally. In the past i would just install xp on the ATA drive and once in windows configure the SATA if i needed or reinstall.

onthebusmall

onthebusmall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i think my sata drive is being detected now and i think i set the boot priority correct since im not getting a error loading OS error but when i get to the screen asking me to boot windows normally or in safe mode etc.. and choose one i get a error for the windows system file saying to repair windows at the setup screen. Im still not able to load windows from my xp cd in the dvd rom drive, is there somthing in bios i need to configure so that the cd drive will work?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
What is your current boot priority or order?