Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AGP x4 card?

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My friend's computer has a GeForce 256 in it and he wants to get C&C The First Decade, well he's interesting in play Generals/Zero Hour but that video card will lag like heck, so I adviced him the get a new video card. Well, I got him to use CPU-z and I found out he has AGP x4, which is better than x2 or PCI which I feared, so I was wondering, is there any AGP x4 card under 70 dollars that will handle Generals and Zero Hour without much lag, or possibly none? The rest of his PC is decent. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

I can't advise you on specific video cards as I'm not a gamer, so haven't got a clue! But I will say this....
Chances are, you won't find many (or possibly any) new 4x AGP cards to buy. All new agp cards now will be 8x. This isn't a problem, because they should all be backwardly compatible with 4x.

The only thing you may need to double check are the voltages that the new card supports. 8x cards run at 0.8V, 4x cards run at 1.5V. The vast majority of 8x cards however will supports both voltages (i.e 8x at 0.8V or 4x at 1.5V) but double check just in case.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I have found a small selection of 4x cards on newegg but they are drying up quick and like Samm I'm not a big gamer so can't really suggest any.... My best advice would be to check the website to see what the requirements are..... Remember if you get just the minimum it will run but you'll probably have to turn down some settings...

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Hmm, just out of couriousity, when he did CPU-Z it said like AGP then like this:

Ignore the card and the PCI-E thing.

So would this mean he is limited to just x4? Or can he get like:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814140051

It says x4/x8 so I was just wondering...

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled2.JPG

Edited by Comrade General, 03 March 2006 - 04:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It looks like his system supports a max of 4x. This means that the card in the link should work fine, but it will run at 4x, not 8x. The fact that it has 2 notches in the copper contacts suggests that it should support both voltages as well.