Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Pc Compatability and ADVICE

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
the DFI ultra-D has 2 pci express slots because you can mod it to sli board. search around and you can find out how it is very simple.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not reccomended to do any "modding" of a motherboard, it doesnt have two PCI-E slots so you can mod it it has them so its cheaper to produce one version of the board and take a SLI chip out than it is to make one vanilla and one SLI.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I think new boards are locked now cuz they found out everybody modded it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I herd about that too on the newer revisions of the motherboards.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Sorry if someone has suggested this already, but if you have the money, I would go with a 7900GT. They are really nice, especially for the price. Otherwise, it looks like a good system, your processor is good, but if you are overclocking, an AMD overclocking giant is the Opteron 165. My expieriences (sp?) with DFI LanParty boards and overclocking have been very good. Never once had a burnout and they have always held up to extreme conditions. Good Luck with your build!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 7900 is a bit OTT on a budget and i would wait a while see if they fix te driver issues in a decent time.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have already bought the stuff. thx for the late reply Colonel. I already got the mobo that warriorscot has and the amd x2 CPU. Why couldn't you have come earlier to suggest the opteron? jk.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I was on hiatus because of school, 3rd marking period (besides finals) is the hardest. Don't want to mess up my grades lol. Especially if I want to get into game design colleges. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Youre better with what you got than the opteron, they have no guarantees they will overclock to the level required and while many will some wont especially if they are from a later run of the chips where the manufacturing becomes a little sketchier.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
now all i need is an 80 mm fan and a 120 mm fan. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should i go one's with LED or no? Should I buy them from antec b/c the case is antec? Thx for the help

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
A case fan is a fan and it doesnt really matter for that.

Antec, thermaltake, zalman, aerocool.... there all good fans.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have the PC together. Now I only need a comfortable keyboard and a 24 inch screen. i was looking at dell's 24 inch lcd. Do you guys think that it would do fine for gaming? Earlier someone recommended the g-15 logitech gaming keyboard but I read a couple reviews and most of them were negative. Is there any other keyboard that you guys would recommend?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I have the PC together. Now I only need a comfortable keyboard and a 24 inch screen. i was looking at dell's 24 inch lcd. Do you guys think that it would do fine for gaming? Earlier someone recommended the g-15 logitech gaming keyboard but I read a couple reviews and most of them were negative. Is there any other keyboard that you guys would recommend?

Pretty much any kind of keyboard will be fine except the cheap ones, on a mouse its a little different and would be more important than a keyboard would.

The dell monitor would be fine as it is actually a cheap price for a monitor of that size.

Do you have to get a monitor that big or do you want the best monitor for gaming for a good price?

The lower the (ms) milliseconds the better for a monitor.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the samsung syncmaster 740b is a very nice monitor, though it is 17in. they make a 19in version though. 1280x1024 (the bigger ones have higher res). DVI-D, 8ms!!! 700:1 contrast ratio! very size efficient (no large plastic borders wasting space). i highly recommend samsung, viewsonic, and sharp.

also you dont need to pay alot to get a good keyboard, my $6 logitech keyboard is the quietest one i've ever used anywhere

Edited by Thebinaryman, 12 March 2006 - 08:08 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i don't NEED the 24 inches for gaming but was thinking that it would just be an awesome experience to play on it. I am looking for/want the best monitor for gaming for a good price. So I will look into the 19 inch samsung. Since you guys probably game a lot, which keyboard do u recommend. Any links would be appreciated.