Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Channel DDR Ram?

• Please log in to reply

jimycad

jimycad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey all,

I am in the market for some more ram for my computer...

here are my choices (both are a single stick of ram):
512MB DDR PC3200 SDRAM or 1024 PC3200 Dual Channel DDR

What I'm going back a fourth about is this:

I want the 1024 Dual Channel, but can I use this as a single stick and is there any dis-advantage to only having a single stick of the Dual Channel

*(My current mobo is using SDRAM)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to be sure that you know which type of SDRAM your system is using as the two are not compiatible. There's SDRAM and there's DDR SDRAM, commonly shortened to just DDR.

Easiest way to tell is to shut the system off, unplug it, take one of the sticks out and see how many notches it has across the bottom where the gold-plated connectors are. If there's only one notch, it's DDR SDRAM. If there's three, it's standard SDRAM.

If there are three notches you can't use PC3200 memory. If you are lucky enough to have a board that can take SDRAM and DDR, then okay. Otherwise, no go.

jimycad

jimycad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm all set with the DDR... Will I be able to use the single stick of the Dual Channel DDR? Does Dual Channel DDR have to be used as Dual Channel?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the answer from the intel website.

Rules to Enable Dual Channel Mode
To achieve Dual Channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

* Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
* Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)
* Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
* Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)

Note: Configurations that do not match the above conditions will revert to Single Channel mode.

A single stick of memory cannot be run in dual channel mode. It will revert to single channel mode. It might be some people can notice the difference but since i'm not into gaming i cannot notice any difference running in single or dual channel mode in any of my puters. All 3 of my latest puters have 2 sticks of matching 512 MB PC3200 memory. Any setup i run is still faster than what i can see.

SRX660

jimycad

jimycad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Lets say that I do not have dual channel capabilities on my mobo, can I use this single stick of 1024mb Dual Channel DDR as a regular stick of ram?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Any dual channel memory will run as single channel.

SRX660

jimycad

jimycad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Awsome, so if I buy this single stick of the dual channel it will work just like a single stick of standard DDR SDRAM

So this dual channel ram:
http://www.radioshac...oductId=2211681

Will work the same as this ram:
http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1077630669390

Edited by jimycad, 03 March 2006 - 09:14 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Remember, there is no such thing as 'dual channel ram'. In other words, to run dual channel, you use two or four sticks of identical, normal DDR ram. There is nothing special about the actual ram itself.

So, if you buy a dual channel 'kit' (i.e 2 sticks of ram) but you have a motherboard that only supports single channel, then both sticks should work fine together in single channel.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, it will. By the way in the last few years i have had so much trouble with PNY brand ram that i will not buy it anymore no matter how cheap it is. I have 3 sticks of PNY 256MB PC133 ram that i bought new They did not work at all and crashed my puter to a black screen. PNY refused to live up to their warranttee. So far i have found 11 sticks of different varieties of bad PNY ram.

SRX660