Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Mammal

Mammal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
:) I have an old PC and when i upgraded to XP i was running short of HD so I decided to install a larger one. I bought a 80gig Seagate. I downloaded a program from Seagate the helped me instal the HD, My bios is an oldie that wouldn't recognise the HD so I installed an DDO "dynamic drive overlay" so far so good, but all sorts of problems have sprung up.I get a blue screen at start and windows refuses to start, after a few tries it starts. I have installed Sygate firewall but when i try to access it my PC slows right down,I checked my system manager and Dr Watson was running and gobbling up all my memory, the list of probs goes on, Can someone please help me with one please. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Do you still have your original hd with Windows XP on it? You could take out the new drive, put the old one back in. Next, you could install the second hard drive as a "slave" drive on the same EIDE channel as the original one. You will need to check the jumper settings on the original hd, make sure it is set to 'master with slave present' or to 'master' if the first one I mentioned is not listed. Then set the jumpers on he replacement hd to 'slave'. Install the new hd, format it and you should have 80 gigs available for your data, and the original available as the boot device with the operating system on it.

If your system won't support two hard drives, you need another game plan. In that case, the best option may be to format the new drive and try insalling windows again.

Post your full system specs in your reply. This will better enable folks to try to help you. The above is just my humble opinion as to the way to go. It may be that your system doesn't support my first suggestion.

Mammal

Mammal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for that, Yes I do still have the original hard drive with all my data but I transfered all data onto the new hard drive by connecting it into my second CD connection, I then removed the origional and reconnected the CD. Everything seems to be working OK except the startup and the problem with Sygate firewall. If I start up in safe mode and restart from there it starts fine, Its just when I try to start in normal that the problem occours. I reinstalled Sygate firewall but it still has the same problem. Here is my system information
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DAVIE
System Manufacturer System Manufacturer
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~300 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS P2B ACPI BIOS Revision 1006, 10/9/1998
SMBIOS Version 2.0
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"
User Name DAVIE\Charles
Time Zone W. Australia Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 49.71 MB
Total Virtual Memory 874.40 MB
Available Virtual Memory 479.71 MB
Page File Space 618.86 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hmm, not familiar with Sygate firewall. Google'd and found it is Symantec's personal fire wall. Does the system boot OK without this firewall? Try removing it from startup and see what happens. Go to start, run and type msconfig Find the Sygate firewall and remove the check mark to remove it from start up. Then reboot. If you perfer you can just remove it from add/remove programs in the control panel.

I use ZoneAlarm (free version) for my firewall. Maybe you can give that a try if in fact Sygate is the problem.

Mammal

Mammal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz: Yep that was the problem, Sygate was conflicting with XP. I believe XP has its own firewall,if so how do I access it. Is the XP firewall any good? and will Zone alarm operate with XP,
So many problems and so little time.
Thanks for your help.