Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Maxtor 3100 Personal Storage HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Donnie373

Donnie373

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all! I'm new to this board and should have probably announced myself as a new member first before posting my problem... Please forgive my rudeness. Ok on to my unfortunate event...

I went out to staples today and purchased a new Maxtor Personal Storage 3100 HDD. It's 200 GB. Got home and hooked it up and windows started doing its Found New Hardware thing. Looked like it was going well and then... "USB Device Not Recognized". Underneath that header it says one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned.

OK. I'm not new to this kind of thing. I looked through the box hoping to find some documentation... I DID! A stupidly small piece of paper called a quick guide that has no words and a few pictures. That tells you just how fool proof this hdd is supposed to be! I went to Maxtor’s website looking for a driver download and they had one! Just not one for my windows version... that reminds me... I think that you guys would be better able to help me if you knew what kind of pc I have, huh?

It is an:
HP Media Center PC m1297c (stock except for an added 1 GB of ram... 2 GB total)
It has 6 USB 2.0 slots in it. 2 in front and 4 in back.
Windows XP

I googled my problem and have been searching for an answer for the last 2 hours. A few people have had similar problems with this and suggested that I Right Click on MY Computer, then go to manage then disc management and just reassign the device a new letter... Problem with that is that it doesn't even show up in there. I can't reassign something that isn't there. I have played with the device manager... Uninstalled the "unknown driver" and re installed it. I have un plugged everything and let is sit for 5 minutes then re-installed it. Oh, and the last thing that I did was hook it up to my wife's laptop. Yeah, the dam thing worked fine on it. So... any suggestions?
:tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Since you just bought this thing, I strongly suggest you try returning it for a refund if possible. Take a look at these reviews: http://www.dealtime....ORAGE_3100_80GB
Now, if you are found to be "stuck" with it because the vendor will only exchange for a like item, so sad. How long have you had it? Usually vendors will allow returns for refund for a limited time, then after that time window passes, exchange for another specified time. I would try to unload it back to where you bought it and look for better options. I did a simple google search for "Maxtor Personal Storage 3100" found lot of hits, and first one was all those bad reviews at dealtime.

There are better options out there. If you find yourself stuck, make them replace it with another one and see what happens.

I was looking for an external hard drive some time ago, did lots of research. I almost went with an off the shelf unit like Maxtor, Seagate, or Simpletech. I ultimately decided the better way to go was to get an enclosure with a power supply and fan, and put the internal hd of my choice in it. I did that, worked great. Now I have four such devices.

Donnie373

Donnie373

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again and thankyou for your post! I will probably try to return the hdd today. The hdd's that you built 4 of... Can they be hooked up through usb?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yes, USB2 on three of them. The 4th one is a USB2/Firewire combo, works on either one.
For info on what is available, do a search for "hard drive enclosure". Lots to choose from.

Edited by austin_o, 03 March 2006 - 03:39 PM.

Donnie373

Donnie373

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great! Thanks for the info on those enclosures! By the way... I took the hdd back and bought a new Maxtor OneTouch II. This one works! I even got $6.00 back! The 200gb external onetouch was on sale for $145.00 at staples!