Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag while viewing many files

• Please log in to reply

btucker

btucker

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello I need help when I try to open files to view its been like this for a while really annoying When i scroll through like all my mp3s at first goes good but the farther i get down the list it lags and freezes up but then if i wait it works. Its been like this on my Pentium 4 3.2ghz but then i upgraded to AMD 4000+ I have 1gb 3200 ddr and my computer is good Im pretty sure its my windows. Also I have tried two hard drives my 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor - and my 7200WD both do the same. IM running Windows XP Pro SP2

Heres the pictures of what it looks like

This is what it looks like when its normal working
Posted Image

This is what it looks like when its running laggy
Posted Image

Thanks for the help.

Edited by btucker, 02 March 2006 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how many files do you have in a folder? consider subfolders based on whatever criteria -- group by age, style, whatever. But a billion files ina folder is asking for trouble

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yeah I know but still Ive tried the same folder on a computer with a diffrent windows and there was no lag at all while viewing it and before when I had about the same amount of files it was no lagt at all. I think its something with my windows or how its set up.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just humor me

drop half in a different folder just as a test...if the issue continues, we will back up and try something else.

troubleshooting is a systematic approach...work from easy to hard

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Im not sure what just happened lol but I moved half of the files out and then i put them back in the same folder and its not lagging anymore ill keep testing it but thats really weird.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe not...are you sure you put them all back?

Since windows attempts to read all files, even before you access them--if for no other reason than displaying an icon or previewing the file in explorer, a corrupt file, or a file that is in danger of becoming corrupt, could cause the studder.

Not sure why moving a file out and then back would improve things, other than a small disk error

You may want to run chkdsk

Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did it nothing changed it still is doing it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so is it lagging, or not? you said it was not

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It started lagging again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, so, please take half your photos and put them in a different folder and leave them there.

Now what

Advertisements

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Now it works but it might not in a little bit but its weird cuz I have had this many files for a while and never did this so I dunno and im pretty sure my computer can handle looking at this many files. If it is the case do you know any good programs that can seperate songs into different folders?

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Just got it its still doing it when I split the files in half

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello btucker,

If you are still experiencing lagging, try the following:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know how it goes.

btucker

btucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Still did not fix it. Nice program tho. I did try looking at another folder with over 2000 files like this folder im looking at with my mp3s the folder with the 2000 files did not lag at all. Im thinking its something with the folder.

Edited by btucker, 05 March 2006 - 09:03 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract, run.Go to VIEW > SHOW PRACTICAL CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU time

If you can a screencapture would be useful