Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not loading

• Please log in to reply

twallace0

twallace0

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm having trouble with my laptop. I can't get passed the screen where Windows is loading. After about 10 secs an error message pops up which I don't have time to read because the computer restarts itself. I don't know what to do and it just started last night. I can't read ANYTHING in the error message b/c it restarts too quickly and doesn't give me a chance. After the computer reboots it asks me whether I want to go into safe mode, normal, or last known good config. I've tried all of those. OS is Windows XP SP2. Would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks for all you do.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi twallace0...

Have you tried booting into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" from that same options screen? If you can get to the command prompt that way, we may be able to run a system restore. If not, let me know and we'll go another direction.

wannabe1

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No that doesn't work either. It lists all those partition files I guess...then about 30 sec later it restarts again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We've got to get the machine to talk to us...

Try Recovery Console. Insert the XP Installation CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password (if you have not set this, press "Enter"). At the system prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter".

This should start the System Restore feature. Restore to a date before the problem began.

Let us know how this goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 March 2006 - 12:37 AM.

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
What XP installation CD? The computer came with XP preinstalled.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about a floppy drive? Does the machine have one?

What is the make and model # of your machine?

Edited by wannabe1, 03 March 2006 - 01:10 PM.

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No floppy. HP Pavilion laptop ze4800

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, turns out my computer came with a disk. I went to the HP support site and I was told to go to the recovery console on the disk, and when the C prompt comes up to type in chkdsk /r. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem. I probably should have done this first.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...give that a try...

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by wannabe1, 03 March 2006 - 10:44 PM.

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, apparently that worked. For now at least. Thanks for your trouble anyways.