Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung SW 252S CD-R/RW drive .inf file needed

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Due to an error made while clearing junk files off of my very small hard drive, I deleted the driver needed to run my Samsung SW 252S CD-R/ RW drive. Gettting the firmware was quick and easy; Samsung has it on their site. Unfortunately, rather than having it as an easy-to-run exe file, they make ytou download a .bin file and an exe file which is supposed to recognize your drive, unpack the .bin and load everything up. Problem is, their exe file (sfdnwin.exe) isn't even trying. You hit the button and IMMEDIATELY get a flag that screams NO DRIVE FOUND!. There are several versions of this file on their site. None of them work, they all do the exact same thing. Now, Windows 2000 (SP4, up-to-date and working well) is recognizing the drive, it's just telling me, "Hey man, I ain't got the right .inf file.". Trust me, everything else is working fine. I simply need to get the .inf file to bring my drive back on. I emailed Samsung from their site, but it never sent the email, which I'm starting to think is their M.O.
Forums I looked at around the internet were complaining about their faulty firmware. Is there a quick and easy solution?
Oh yeah, I also tried downloading ISO Magic and WIN ISO, but they were of no help whatsoever. Please, folks, if you can, I'd really appreciate your help, here.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi criticman...

Let's try a few things here lest we overlook the easy stuff...

Roll back the driver. From Device Manager, right click on your CD drive and choose "Properties". Under the "Driver" tab, click on "Roll Back Driver". Accept the change and reboot.

If no change...

Uninstall and reinstall the device. Open Device Manager, right click on your misbehaving CD drive, and choose "Uninstall". Accept the change and reboot. Windows should reinstall the device automatically.

If no change...

Do a System Restore (from System Tools) to a date before you deleted the driver.

Let me know if any of the above produce the desired results.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 March 2006 - 12:05 AM.

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
No. The device is there, there are no drivers for it. I have Samsung's firmware update sitting here, but, because it is a bin file, and their included exe file which should unpack it, doesn't work, I'm stuck. I need working drivers that I can actually use.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....

Then try running "Add New Hardware" from Control Panel to reinstall the drive. When prompted, point the Wizard to the downloaded .bin file for the driver files.

wannabe1

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've done that. It didn't work. But something has happened . Samsung got back to me with a response. Apparently a little-known Roxio--what? bug? virus? leftover from WMP 7 is the cause of my problems. They pointed me to a Microsoft document which explains how to cure it. It involved editing the registry. To make a long story short, I did that. Then I tried updating Smasung's firmware. That, too, went fine. I rebooted and once again, Windows New Hardware appy found the drive and said there were no drivers for it. When I checked, however, the drive was visible, and working normally. Unfortunately, Windows still doesn't recognize it's being there. I"m happy the thing is there and working again, but I'd be much happier if everthing was operating as normal. Oh, it seems my cd-rom.inf and cd-rom.PNF files are now gone. This could be the cause of the problem, but how to replace them?