Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What gives?

• Please log in to reply

qtrmilperf

qtrmilperf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys

Just purchased a new computer this week, along with a new graphics card and a memory upgrade, heres the specs:

AMD 64 3300 (not overclocked)
1024mb ddr400 memory
GeForce 6600gt OC Driver 7.1.8.1
160gb seagate HD
Creative EAX Audigy 2 sound card

Heres my problem, bought half life 2 and installed. Game constanly freezes and crashes at various points of game. I have read online thru some forums that this is common and have accepted the fact until a patch comes out. So I installed Battlefield Vietnam and installed latest patches, start playing and it also locks up and crashes. I have downloaded all the latest drivers for my sound and video cards, disabled norton antivirus and my firewall and still run into this problem. I can accept not being able to play Half Life, but Battlefield Vietnam ran perfectly with my older Pentium 1.4, 512mb rambus memory, ATI 9600. If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Advertisements

qtrmilperf

qtrmilperf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I just checked the cpu temp in BIOS and it was at 60c. I would imagine that it gets hotter than that when I actually have applications or games running. Brand new computer. I just added a 480w powersupply and geforce 6600gt, I'm thinking that the temp is giving me my problems, hopefully.

Thanks
Rob1

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

Have you checked the error logs? Do they show anything?

Paddy

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The temps are most likely your problem when checking in bios you are checking at idle and should be low 40c's, you should report this to whoever built the computer because of warranty but if you need advice on fixing yourself post back.

Rick

qtrmilperf

qtrmilperf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I figured it was the heat problem, I bought a desktop fan and took the side cover off and had it blowing on the processor and my temps went from 60c to 43c. Cranked up windows and started playing Battlefield Vietnam which was crashing every two minutes into the game and it played perfectly for fifthteen straight minutes.

Thanks
Rob1