Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Troubles with XP Install

• Please log in to reply

jagsnbucs

jagsnbucs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Last month my PC got a virus, which I was able to wipe clean. However, I had to purchase Windows XP Home edition, full. I once had the upgrade over Windows98. When I installed the full wrsion of windows the installation had some problems. The below files were not copied over.

viaagp1.sys
drivers.cab
ntprint.inf
sp2.cab

My Printer does not work now, and I am not able to use IE. it says there is a sercurity file missing. What if any thing can I do to fix this issue.

HD 20GB
Ram 352
cd 52x
cdr/w 48/24/24
1.3GHz AMD Duron PRocessor

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what do you mean, they were not copied over...during the install, you got a message "cannot copy" and then went ahead amd skipped?

I'm surprised that a lot more is not wrong with your machine

You need to clean your cd-rom with one of those cd-rom cleaners they sell, then wash your windows xp cd in warm soapy water then damp dry

Then run a windows repair

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

jagsnbucs

jagsnbucs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

what do you mean, they were not copied over...during the install, you got a message "cannot copy" and then went ahead amd skipped?

That is exactly what I mean. MY keyboard will not work until it boots into windows so I can't make it boot from the Cd. I had cleaned both. I did that before I even started.

jagsnbucs

jagsnbucs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

That is exactly what I mean. MY keyboard will not work until it boots into windows so I can't make it boot from the Cd. I had cleaned both. I did that before I even started.

If I have to go back and rewipe the HD how do I get the activation key back? I don't want to have to call Microsoft again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sadly, you cannot get the activation key back--there is a lot of bad advice on the internet regarding backing up some files called wpa.... this is a myth

You can run a windows repair without altering your current activation though...before you do, though..what do you mean you cannot use your keyboard?

All of it or just some keys? Usb or PS2?

jagsnbucs

jagsnbucs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
from what I see, I can't use any key.
F2 is my bios key, doesn't load bios
F11 is mt boot Key
F8 the windows start up keu doesn't work
Neither do any of the arrows.

The repair feature did not help me at all. I still have the same problems. OK so if I have to totally reload this windows then I can't get it re-activated? Man that sucks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
F or Function keys need to be activated...if you have a multifunction keyboard, look for an F-lock key that you need to tap quickly to access those keys....and sometimes, windows will turn them back off)

Yes, you can re-activate, but you have to call MS....they will ask if you several questions and just tell them, "I am only installing windows on one machine in my house, I only have one machine. I had to re-install windows because your security is so poor that every virus in the known universe infects it despite the fact I have a firewall, antivirus and anrispyware loaded. Build a better operating system that doesn't invite every cretin with a compiler to generate garbage to infect me and I will stop having to reload all the time!"

ok...don't say that last part,but just be clear and firm that you are installing windows on only 1 pc.