Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problems after installing new video card

• Please log in to reply

mrspock128

mrspock128

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I'm running a Pentium 4, 3.2 ghz, with 1.5 gigs of DDR RAM with a 17" LCD monitor. My computer came with an 128 Mb Nvidia PCI Express card. I bought a new video card yesterday, shown here and brought it home. I unhooked everything, took the old card out, put the new one in, and plugged everything back up. So my computer started up in 800x600 mode. I followed the instructions that came with the card. It said that when the Found New Hardware wizard came up, to hit cancel and put the ATI CD in and install the drivers from there. I did so and it prompted me to restart my computer which I did.

When the computer came up, it got to right past the Windows XP loading screen and then my monitor turned off. The computer itself was still running but the monitor just shut off. So I turned the computer off and back on, and the same thing happened. I then assumed some of the ATI drivers were screwed up so I decided to put my old card back in, then just go in and uninstall and reinstall the ATI drivers. So I took the new card out, put the new one in, and started up my computer. This time, my monitor wouldn't rurn on at all. It was as if the signal wasn't getting to my monitor that my computer had been turned on. So then I just decided to put the new card back in and try it again.

I did this but now it was even worse. The monitor came on but it would never go past the first screen that came up, the Pentium 4 screen. It just sits there. I've tried to turn it off and boot it again but it does the same thing. I have no idea on what to do. Please help.

Edited by mrspock128, 03 March 2006 - 09:44 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try booting into safe mode (usually by pressing f8 during the boot process)