Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helllllllllppppppppppp

• Please log in to reply

carterclone

carterclone

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm computer savy enough to deal with the usual spyware, virus, run of the mill problems that normally happen on a computer but this one has me COMPLETELY STUMPED!

I am having a problem with a number of file types on my computer. I am using Windows XP and Service Pack 1. (I wasn't too thrilled with service pack 2 and because of the security involved, alot of things on my network failed to work properly, so I uninstalled it)

Specifically, MP3 files.
I am able to open mp3 files as long as everytime I want to open one I have to select a program from a list of programs. Windows tells me it "Windows cannot open this file" and lets me select from a list of programs. I MAKE SURE I check the always use this program to open this type of file and then the file opens. Problem is, no matter what I do, windows will not open that file automatically, even if I make sure Windows Media Player is my default player. I also went to folder options and noticed the file type MP3 does not exist. So I added it. Even after adding it, it does not allow me to change the program associated with it and the next time I go into file types, the MP3 type is again not on the list. I first noticed this with just the mp3 files. Now there are about 3 types of files total that will not allow me to associate a program with it. The icons all go to the default icon that windows gives if you don't have a program on your computer for that type of file. I have software for every kind of file that i am having these problems with. I also did a registry cleanup with Registry Mechanic and that didn't help at all. Please help me as I am extremely confused as to what is going on here.

(I don't know if this is worth mentioning or even a possible concern, but I am hooked up on a remote network in Buffalo that connects to my corporate office in Los Angeles, through a VPN Tunnel. I am running through a Sonicwall TZ170 router) I mention this cause I'm not sure if the connection has anything to do with the settings on my computer.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit
<enter>

do you have a key called
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes but when I open it, it gives me an error message thats says cannot open .mp3. Error while opening key.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you delete it?

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
nope.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this computer a member of domain?

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
not sure I understand the question.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whose computer is this? Your's or your company's?

Companies will block the use of certain files at times.---you mentioned mp3...what others?

If you are a member of a domain, each time you log on, your PC is updated with the most recent group policy that applies to the user and the machine.

If your company has group policies, each time you log on to the domain, you will have that policy enforced.

right click my computer, choose property, go to NAME...what do you see?

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes it is from a workgroup CBS which is my works server

Registered to : Ryan (me)

Workgroup: CBS

other employees in my company do not have this same problem but i am the only one remotely connected

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, workgroup, but not domain

go back to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3

right click, permissions....what do you see?

Advertisements

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it says I cannot view permission settings but i can make permission changes...

Edited by carterclone, 03 March 2006 - 01:16 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uh, what? What kind of changes can you make?

What OS is this? XP Home or Pro?

Are you a administrator?

I am tempted to say you should log out and log back in in safe mode as the administrator account and see if the results are similar

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it is Xp Pro and yes I am an administrator

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you didn't answer my question

What kind of changes can you make?

carterclone

carterclone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
when I right click onthe .mp3 folder it gives me the error message listed above. it then opens the permissions box.

I tried to add group or user names to the permissions and when I click apply it says unable to save user permissions access is denied, therefore I don't believe at this point I can make any changes at all.

currently there is no user listed in the permissions for the file .mp3 as oppose to other files that i do have access too.

Edited by carterclone, 03 March 2006 - 02:36 PM.