Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a P2 w/ 128mb RAM handle Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'm using a computer at school which runs on P2 w/ 128mb of RAM and is currently using Windows 98 4.10.1998. Is it possible to upgrade this computer to Windows XP and still have it run normal because a lot of the basic functions on Windows 98 are really annoying (such as Notepad) so that was why I was wanting to upgrade.

The actual performance on Windows 98 is fine but just the fact that a lot of things cant be done on 98 is frustrating.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...on/sysreqs.mspx requirements

128 meg of ram is the bare minimum...
and a bare minimum of 233 mhz on the processor

i'll tell you from experience...that if you run xp on the minimum...you will be sorry...it won't work very well at all...

256 ram is better for xp...but 512 of ram seems to be the sweet spot.. as far as the processor goes...pIII is usually adequate...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I'm using a computer at school which runs on P2 w/ 128mb of RAM and is currently using Windows 98 4.10.1998. Is it possible to upgrade this computer to Windows XP and still have it run normal because a lot of the basic functions on Windows 98 are really annoying (such as Notepad) so that was why I was wanting to upgrade.

It'll run but it'll be quite painful to use afterwards. I wouldn't bother, personally.

Anyway there's very little improvement in the basic programs that come with Windows - Notepad certainly hasn't changed since Windows 95. In fact its most signficiant change - remembering whether Word Wrap was previously on or not - was added in 98.

The actual performance on Windows 98 is fine but just the fact that a lot of things cant be done on 98 is frustrating.

Quite a lot of things can still be done on Windows 98 but they require Windows 98 Second Edition (which you can determine by looking at the version number - 4.10.2222). You have Win98 Gold which isn't as good as 98SE.