Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open Hotmail account

• Please log in to reply

Heather116

Heather116

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had a Hotmail email account for a long time. Starting yesterday morning a Login box would pop up asking for my password. It showed asterisks that were the same qty as my password, so I hit enter. The box kept popping up. I tried erasing the asterisks and typing my password but same thing.
It said I have tried my password too many times or someone is trying to access my account.
I am 100% positive that I had the right password.
Has anyone had anyone try to access their account or could something weird be going on with Hotmail or my computer?
I can't do much through Hotmail b/c it says my password is incorrect :) I emailed "them" and they offered the same suggestions I already tried :)
I even had my father-in-law try accessing our account from his computer and he couldn't. I have done that there before...but we haven't been there in two weeks and the account was fine til yesterday.
I'm thinking I will just have to lose my emails and ask MSN to close the account.
Anyone have any ideas? :tazz:

Edited by Heather116, 03 March 2006 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you say a box came up with your password in *? as in like an actual popup box...or the normal thing that happens when you save a password in internet explorer where when you start typing your username...a dropdown box comes up with your username...and when you select that name it autofills your password in?

Heather116

Heather116

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well normally I never get asked for that info, I can just access the emails. What comes up is a box showing the email address then below that the password in asterisks, but it doesn't work. So, I tried re-typing it b/c I thought what the heck, but that still didn't work.
So, after I try that a few times it tells me that I've tried accessing the account too many times or someone is trying to access it.
Maybe I should leave it alone til tomorrow (maybe I can only try so many times per day) and if that doesn't work just contact MSN one last time, then maybe delete the account.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you're going to www.hotmail.com? or are you getting your hotmail emails through outlook? ( a little confused as to what box you're talking about...in fact if you can take a screen shot of what you're seeing that would be helpful)

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Just some small thing. You should know but you may forget.
Not long ago hot mail as you to type in the whole Email address in user box ([email protected] ) instead of just the user before(abcdefg).