Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Converting from fat32 to NTFS

• Please log in to reply

Will101

Will101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if there is anything that I should first do to my HDD before converting to NTFS. Will any of my system files, personal files, become corrupt or damaged in the process?

My FAT32 HDD is lagging quite a lot and I have also read that it is worth it to convert to NTFS for numerous reasons.

I have my HDD seperated into 2 partitions of 35.4 Gigs each, where my main hard drive is FAT32 and the other partition is NTFS.

I have considered puchasing a 1 gig of DDR2 RAM(currently have 512) to boost my laptops performance. My performance mainly suffers when I run my anti-virus(Kasperspy). It seems like it takes forever for any command that i issue to my computer to register and comply, plus when i attempt to close a window that is open, the window slowly, i mean really slowly receeds to the bottom of its border, and then my desktop takes like 1 minute for my the icons to appear.

Thank you very much for any help.

Advertisements

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Kaspersky**

sorry.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
before conversion, run a chkdsk and defrag

Double click MY COMPUTER, choose the LOCAL DISK, right click, choose PROPERTIES, go to TOOLS tab

run the error check, checking both boxes (you will need to reboot), then go back and run the defrag

the extra ram will likely not solve the issue...a virus check is a pretty intense activity as is any thing that scans every file on the drive...that said, it should be more usuable then that.

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, here is my report of my computer.

Thanks again for your help, it's appreciated!

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dang...I'm sorry I can't help you...your system is much better than mine and I hate you for it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
j/k

no, that system should be able to run Kapersky and several other things.

Do run the conversion and then afterwards,

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract, run.Go to VIEW > SHOW PRACTICAL CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Run Kapersky and then ook in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU time

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So.....is my system good or bad IYO?

I just got this laptop like 1 month ago, so it should'nt be too terrible, should it?

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
system idle process is using around 76 - 95% of my Cpu. It fluctuates up and down randomly when i use kaspersky.

i think kaspersky uses a lot of RAM, am i right?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nice system other than acer's idiotic insistance on installing it as fat32

Now, before running convert (almost forgot about this, since it has been a while since I did this), you want to align your fat32 clusters on 4kb boundaries.....

what does that mean?

http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

The long and short of it--doing a stragiht convert can greatly diminish performance

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It says that i need a floppy to boot from, but i dont have a floppy drive....

I was wondering if you have the time to help me use this program "BOOTITNG", i have followed directions and created an .iso file in the program folder, but I am unsure of how to boot using that file.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which directions did you follow--To create the bootable CD/DVD disc?

Easy way... If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive and te PC bios set to boot to CD-ROM first in the boot order.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did everything that you said, but my computer is not recognizing the cd as a boot cd.

Is there another program that i can use before changing my partition to NTFS?

so tired.......must sleep....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz