Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless LAN speed slows down to 1.0mbps

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I had been using a Netgear WG111v2 54mpbs Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter for about a week with no problems, but the other day, when my computer started up, the connection was at 54mbps as usual for only about 20 seconds, then it started to decrease: 48, 36, 24........11, 5.5, 2 and finally it reached 1.0mbps, and it stayed there for about 2-3 hours, which is when I decided I was going to try and fix it.

This happens every time the connection is enabled, whether it is when my PC boots up, or if I disable and enable the connection, or if I uninstall and reinstall the hardware.
I have tried different software versions, and as I have said, removing and reinstalling the device. I have also checked the advanced settings and my wireless router settings which all appear fine. I have made no changes that I can think of since the device was working perfectly. Has anyone else ever come across this problem?

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 04 March 2006 - 06:13 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you visit windows update? They have a new driver for this device, I think. If you installed it, rollback the driver

I know that my card, v1 though, works best with the second driver...any updates to that driver result in poor performance/

also

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to windows zero wireless configurations and disable it. My wireless card and several others hate that service to death

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi gerryf (again!), stopping the Wireless Configuration Services fixed THAT problem, but I now have a worse problem - BSODs!
They appear about 15-20 mins after I connect and they are always different.
Messages include
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and two which I had never seen before:
MULTIPLE_COMPLETE_IRP_REQUESTS
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

The file that is shown at the bottom is always different, as is the code. I can't remember the codes off-hand, but files include:
afd.sys
usbport.sys
and others which I didn't note due to my frustration!
Just thought I would point out that I AM using a USB 2.0 port, I don't know whether using a 1.1 port would make any difference...

I have tried completely removing the device and all software, and reinstalling from the original CD, but the blue screens still occur.

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 04 March 2006 - 06:15 AM.