Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd cpu problem

• Please log in to reply

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi im having a problem with my pc i had an amd duron 1300 and my pc would slow down after about an hour so i opened up my pc an realised there was no heatsink paste so i applyed some but pc would not boot i then got a nother cpu (same) still no luck any suggestions

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Could you tell us which motherboard you have please? The make & model should be printed on the board.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi its an msi k7n2g

http://www.msi.com.t...8&MODEL=MS-6570

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thank you.

Can you tell me :

1. Which cpu are you currently using? The original duron or the replacement one? If its the replacement one, what is it?

2. When you power the system on, does anything happen at all? i.e do the fans spin, do you hear any beeps, do the keyboard lights flash once just after powering on?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Pull the battery out for abit. check it while you have it out . shuff it back in, if the Mother board still good (it should be) and all the wire pluged in properly it should boot up for you.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
just tried it had no luck im guessing ive nackerd both cpus as i have a d-bracket attached to my mobo which indicates to them being damaged, lights 1 an 2 flash red which indicates this

http://www.pcbuyerbe...SI-DBracket.gif

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you try this then :

Disconnect the power lead, then disconnect the power supply from the motherboard.
Discharge your static by touching a metal surface (or wear a static band)
Remove he heatsink/fan assembly, then remove the cpu.
Without touching the pins on the cpu, inspect them closely to make sure none are bent or missing (apart from the 2 corners where they are supposed to be missing).
Remove the thermal compound from the cpu & heatsink, reinstall cpu & apply fresh compound before replacing the heatsink/fan.
Remember, when inserting the cpu into the socket, it should just drop straight in. If you have to push it in at all, then one or more of the pins are not straight.

Let me know what happens.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
thanks sam but still no luck im affraid, everythings firin up fans etc, its still sayin somethings wrong with the cpu, guess its a gonner lol, dont see what else it could be now.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is it reporting the same error with both cpus?

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
sure is

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
seems strange that both cpu should die at the same time, thats all. Are you able to test either of them in another motherboard?

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
unfortunatly no

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
could always buy a cheap 1 of ebay just to see if its the cpus

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, just double check these two things then please...

1) Make sure you have the square 4 pin power connector plugged in (next to the main 20 pin ATX connector)

2) That the plastic jumper cap on jumper header JBAT1 (next to the silver battery) is covering pins 1-2.

3) There should be two jumper headers (J10 - 3 pin & J11 - 2 pin) on the board. Can you tell me what position the jumper cap is in for J10 & whether there is a jumper cap or no jumper cap on J11.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
jbat1 is on 1-2, j10 is on 2-3 and j11 is on

Edited by fernsy, 05 March 2006 - 04:30 PM.