Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd cpu problem

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
JBAT1 & J10 are fine.
HOWEVER, if you have the duron 1.3GHz cpu installed, then J11 must be open (i.e no jumper).

What is the second cpu you have?

Advertisements

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
there both identical so dya thinks thats the problem. ill give it a try l8er on tonight

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think it's definately worth a try, yes!

At the moment the JP10 jumper is set to 100MHz FSB (which is correct for a duron 1.3GHz) but the JP11 jumper is set to 133/166MHz. You need to remove the jumper cap from JP11 in order to set the FSB to 100MHz as well.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
still no luck im affraid with the jumpers, thanks for all your help tho sam

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Only other thing to try is this :
Disconnect the Main ATX power connector from the motherboard.
Move the jumper cap on JBAT1 to cover pins 2-3. Wait 30 seconds, then replace the jumper back on pins 1-2, as before.
Set the jumper on JP10 to pins 1-2. Leave JP11 open (unjumpered).
Reconnect the ATX power connector & see if that makes any difference.

If it doesn't help then disconnect the power again. This time though reomve ALL ram modules & the video card. Make sure the internal speaker/buzzer is connected, reconnect the power & power the system on.
Obviously this time, you will have no monitor connected so just listen out for beeps. You should hear lots of them.

One more thing.....
As you are no doubt aware, the heatsink can be installed either way round on these cpu sockets. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain that you have it installed the CORRECT way round? If you're not 100% sure then tell me & I'll talk you through how to check.

I don't mean to sound patronising but its an easy mistake to make if you're not experienced in fitting them.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi sam im pretty sure on how to install the heatsink bacause one side is indented, ill let you no what happens tomorrow, thanks very much for your help.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi sam no luck with either, not 1 beep lol, i even tried 2 speakers just to make sure it wasnt broke

Edited by fernsy, 08 March 2006 - 02:28 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There's not much else I can suggest in that case, I'm afraid. A number of different things can prevent a system from posting, but the post test checks the video & the ram before most other components. This means that when no video card is installed & no ram is installed, the system should emit a series of beeps (error codes). Assuming that the power supply is OK, the bios jumper (JBAT1) is not set to the clear position & the speaker is working & correctly attached, then there's very few things that will cause the system to NOT beep in the absence of ram & video. The things that will cause this condition are :

Bad or incompatible CPU
Blown or damaged motherboard
Something shorting out the motherboard
Incorrectly configured jumpers

We've already eliminated the jumpers as being the problem. It could be a power supply issue & therefore if you have access to another PSU, you may want to trying swapping it.

Check for blown components by inspecting the motherboard. Look for any signs of discolouration/charring, leaking or bulging capacitors, dry joints, cracks etc. Handle the board as little as possible to prevent static damaged, in fact, don't touch it at all, just visually inspect it.

Give the case a shake & make sure you can't hear any metallic rattles etc, such as a loose screw or spacer behind the motherboard.

The most likely cause of the problem however, is the CPU.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
looks like the motherboards to blame, tried a new cpu an still no look and im getting no beeps when you told me to remove the ram and video card.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, I agree with you. The chances of having 3 blown cpu's are extremely unlikely.

Advertisements

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
what happens if a bit of the die is broken away on the cpu will it not work, also any suggestions on what mobo to get. thanks again

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

what happens if a bit of the die is broken away on the cpu will it not work, also any suggestions on what mobo to get. thanks again

If a bit of the die has broken away, then it will definately not work!
Assuming that this is one of the 3 cpu's you have been testing, do you know if the die was like this before you tried the cpu in the motherboard, or has this happened since?

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
this has happened since, not havin much luck lol, its jus a tiny little piece of the corner harldly noticeable ill get some pics to you 2moro to see what you think. it hard not to break, its so small and fradgile, bit of a rubbish design in my eyes, im switching to a 478 socket mobo as i have a 2.6 ghz intel celeron.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All computer chips are the same they are incredibly fragile, they are made of millions of conducting pathways and chemical switches that operate at the molecular level many of the components of the cpu themselves are smaller than most biological organisms they are so narrow now that they are in fact many times narrower than the wanvelength of visible light(pretty small they are only a few molecules across in some cases), unfortunately when you create incredibly small complex machines then they tend not to have durability beyond the very careful install process in mind, The newer chips now all have the large heat spreaders on top of the die which helps protect it but they are still fragile even at that.

The celeron would seem a better choice it being the faster chip and a new mobo does seem in order from what ive read of the thread i totally agree with Samm(some cracking troubleshooting there by the way), if youre getting a new mobo with a faster chip then i would get a new PSU while youre at it as it might not have enough power if its an older Duron system PSU and a good PSU is never a bad thing to have.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 March 2006 - 05:16 PM.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi ive just bought the following motherboard but came with no drivers so will i need to download the audio drivers because i carnt seem to find any, also is this ac97 a universal audio driver or somthing, ill let you take a look

http://www.motherboa...V4MDMV4MDMP.htm