Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hey guys i got my pc up and running but i have 1 problem, i bought a western digital 250 gb but it only shows up as 127 gb. Did newegg send me the wrong HD or do i need sum software or sumthin? this is it btw http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144417

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Does the drive show up as 127GB (or there abouts) in the bios or is the bios reporting the correct size?

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
lemme check hold on

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yeah in bios it shows 250gb

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea in the bios it shows 50gb of space, what should i do to make it show that in my computer?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Yeh, I have alway wonder about that number 127G too. I know for sure that Xp manage well up to 300G and most of the time I don't have no problem for Xp regconize 300G on single HD machine but one in a while, on some machine it see only 127G.
-Is it 300G in total of drives it can see or 300G each drive it can see? This question come up since if I ad up all the space that available on drives, more than likely the number would be around 300G. But why 127G?

Any way If you want to be able to use all of your space, you must make windows seeing it, not 127G.

Edited by mcpscomp, 04 March 2006 - 01:44 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have any service packs installed for XP?

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey samm
I know Stelth2k1 is off line but since you are there can we carry on this if you know the answer for my question? Knowing that you "can only help one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either" so what the heck.... just kidding.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi mcpscomp

To recognise a drive larger than 127GB (or 137GB depending on translation), the system needs to support 48bit LBA. This means that the bios must support it (in this case it does because its recognising the full 250GB), but also the operating system needs to support it. In the cae of XP, this means having SP1 or higher installed. Sometimes even with SP1 installed, the OS still won't recognise over 137GB, in which case you need to tweak the registry.

See the MS article in the link below for more information on this :

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=303013

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
In one case what I have is XPsp2. I was freaked out when I plug in 300G USB2 external and what I see is again 137G(you right) It is my machine. The problem is not yet solve. and again when I ad up the total of all external and internal it round up right there around 300G.
Any way, that would be nice if you can show me the registry part.
Thanks

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea i do have service pack 2 installed ill check out when i get home though im at work right now

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey Stelth2k1
It is nice link Samm gave me. Take a look.
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=303013

Not sure if that was the problem of mine ( I'm at work now) but it was nice to read that link no matter what. Read up to my problem anyway.
Thanks Samm.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
i still do not understand what to do can some1 please help me? or tell me step by step what to do, sorry im new to this pc buildin stuff,

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

i still do not understand what to do can some1 please help me? or tell me step by step what to do, sorry im new to this pc buildin stuff,

Yeah, no problem.

Firstly though, can you go into disk management (Click on Start->Run.. then type in diskmgmt.msc <OK>)

Have a look at the drive in disk management (in the lower pane). On the left you should see something like 'Disk 0' with the size reported underneath. Does disk management report the drive to be 127GB or 250GB in total?

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
it says 232gb