Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding RAM

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have an ASUS A8V Delux MB which came with 1gb RAM in 2 - 512K modules installed in sockets A1 and B1. I purchased another gb of RAM (Corsair XMS matched pair) to add on. I moved the old module in socket B1 to A2 and added the new matched pair into sockets B1 and B2. It doesn't look like the computer sees the new memory either in BIOS setup or Hardware (control panel). Both still show memory to be 1gb. I made sure the memory matched what the MB used which is DDR 400 . I need some help to go from this point forward. any help would be appreciated :tazz:

domer

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you try moving your original pair of modules back to slots A1 & B1, then add the two new modules to the other two slots. See if that helps.

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks Samm - that worked. It was going to be my next step, but I am glad to have another opinion agreeing with me. It appears the MB recognizes memory pairs by slot number and not letter or color.

I'm happy it was my day to be helped :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad its working. You are right - the pairs are determined by the slot numbers (in this case A1+B1, then A2+B2).